If you are releasing fish and want them to survive ... fish with debarbed hooks. And make no exceptions. I also like long shanked hooks that are thinner wired when catching to release.

Debarbing hooks is a good practice for making things more enjoyable for the fisherman too. Much less time taking hooks out. As long as you keep a tight line and the fish doesn't jump you will not likely lose the fish. It seems I can sense when an LMB will jump by its movement in the water, I usually hold the rod high and to one side or the other. But when the fish is approaching jump I will reverse the side by rotating the whole works (which also lowers the rod tip while maintaining the bend of the rod). More often than not the fish changes direction and dives when I do that (your mileage may vary). If a fish is breaching, try to pull it on its side and keep it moving in your direction. It's the head shake with head up and tail down that usually throws a hook. Heavier lures are easier to for fish to throw. Going debarbed will make you a better fisherman. I think I hook more with debarbed hooks because the hook set takes less force.