Originally Posted by catscratch
I have the chance to get several old concrete man-hole or meter tubes. They are about 3' long and 1.5' diameter. I think I'll have to put them in 9-10 feet of water so that they don't grow over with weeds.

My question is should I lay them on their sides so that they act as horizontal caves, or should I try to stand them up. I think if I lay them over I'll run them parallel to the bank so that jigs and lures will slide over them instead of hanging up on the lips. If I stand them up they could make for some nice vertical jigging spots. Target species will be large mouth bass or crappie.

Despite all the wonderful suggestions about floating them with beer kegs, which I'm sure would work without a single glitch, I might add a suggestion or two.

If you stick them vertically if the bottom is sealed off the water inside will mostly be anoxic, devoid of oxygen. I scuba dive and here in Bonaire in the ocean I have occasion to dive where large pipe pilings have been driven into the ocean floor. I always shine my light down inside them but I never see any fish or critters over a foot or so down into them. On down in the pipe is devoid of most life.

My ideal way to stack them would be three (or more) horizontal straped together on the pond floor with a ratchet strap. Then stack 2 on top in the valleys between them, then one on the top. Tee pee style. How you get them down in the water and in place...........well that is a trick. A telehandler, trackhoe, or some similar large hydraulic crane type thingy along with appropriate sling would be just wonderful to have for an hour or two.