Originally Posted by gehajake
Originally Posted by SetterGuy
CC do you have a picture of the duck nesting tubes? I’m trying to imagine it, but my imagination is letting me down.

Me too, not picturing it but I may google it and see what I can find, I have a couple duck huts out and a couple of homemade ones mad out of 8" pvc pipe painted khaki colors but don't think I have had any luck yet although I do have them around every spring and even had hatches of them but don't know where the nests were.

Several good videos on this. In the UK they have seen a huge increase in the number of successful hatches and duckling survival with these tubes. I made mine with straw but watching videos they recommend 'grass hay' or Timothy Hay.

[video:google]
[/video]

or this one:

[/video]

or at the end of this one with video of ducklings jumping out!! I never knew that mallard ducklings did the jump out of the next like Wood Ducks but sure enough they do!

[/video]

and they used metal components perhaps as an additional predator guard. I like the design where the tube sits in a cradle which makes it easier to remove the tube to check and refresh the hay and leave the mount in place. In my pond I suspect I'll be taking it down and putting it back out in the pond at ice out. My wife says that it looks silly in the pond, like a wooly sheep without legs floating above the water..