Originally Posted by FishinRod
1.) What is the correct name for the shape of a pure-strain, mature BG?

2.) Now that genetic testing is feasible for animal studies, are there instances of hybrid BG/GSF in nature that are several generations past the initial cross?

3.) I believe the consensus on Pond Boss is that stocked hybrid BG in ponds tend to revert back more towards their GSF traits. However, while there may be pure-strain BG in the pond, there are not usually GSF that were intentionally added to the pond. Do the GSF traits come out more in subsequent generations, even if the HBG are breeding only with other stocked HBG?

(There are a lot of assumptions in Question 3. I LIKE it when people on the forum point out my erroneous assumptions. If you people aren't going to correct me, then who will?)

1. No correct name but - plate shaped are referred to as Compressiform .

2. Yes and that is not new or recent - can be F2 , Fx for subsequent generations, or a back cross if the hybrid crosses with a parental species.

3. HBG X HBG are not common but do exist. The offspring can exhibit outbreeding depression (loss of hybrid vigor) but they do not revert to GSF. Some traits (bad)may be pronounced in subsequent cross generations but that is due to genetics of crossing not because its genes revert to GSF. Pure strain GSF are not so easy to find and that fact is thought to skew results in some older studies.