esshup, I'm with you on the Rusty Crayfish situation. I understand that the goal is to prevent invasive species, but when the rusty is as common as anything else already in our lakes it seems a little too late to hang up posters or think about checking someone's livewell in case one is hitchhiking.

The fear is that they will outcompete smaller less aggressive native crayfish which also is probably true but it seems we are way beyond that already in lakes around here. A large lake loaded with Rustys in Northern lower MI also has seen the population of SMB and YP adapt. The fish are hefty and even the 6-7" YP we would catch would have surprisingly large rusty crayfish folded up in their stomach. This lake has few LMB but I would have to believe the LMB would have an easier time foraging on the largest crayfish than even the SMB do.

I do wonder if rusty crayfish need more calcium content in the water in order to spawn? I know this lake must have tons of natural limestone and high calcium content as every dock or rope left in there will get a gritty stone grime attached to it very quickly. The crays flourish. Lakes with 'softer' ground water chemistry don't seem to struggle with as much rusty crayfish reproduction.