Speaking strictly as an amateur subject to correction by the real experts...

In your shoes I'd be leery of Virginia, as it is rapidly going the way of California. Lots and lots of rules & regulations ahead, in my opinion. Other states look fine.

Pellet feeding is huge part of a highly successful fishery, particularly for BG. In just a few years I've grown CNBG up to 1.5 lbs. Well worth the cost & bother, as panfish help feed those LMB you hope to grow.

You must get the watershed and soils right. Some places with lots of rain can sustain a five acre pond with 25 acres of watershed; other places might need 50 acres; others 100 acres. Too much watershed causes flooding, too little and the pond dries up in summer.

Creeks can be good or bad, depending on whether they have rough fish in them, and how much silt they bring during heavy rains. Be aware that a substantial creek might make you subject to more regulations & restrictions. As for soil, clay is vital to a good dam. Make sure you have enough, get an expert to come out & dig a few holes to check before you buy.

Springs are tricky. They supply extra water, a good thing in drought. But if they are near the pond bottom, the water may reverse course & flow out when the pond is full. Check!

Building a pond is usually more expensive than buying an existing one. However, you do have a much better idea of what you are getting, and you won't have to drain & kill off undesirable stuff. Also, an existing pond that has been fished by other people over the years will continue to be fished by many of them regardless of the change of ownership. Anticipate confrontations. New ponds are much better in this regard.

Best of luck!