I liked both Bill's and Eric's posts. Overall I liked all of what Bill and had to say and Eric's ... I can say the same even though it really only applies to TP.

Growing up my dad kept a bait pond. It was very small, only about 1/20 acre. It doubled as a crayfish / FHM pond and we harvested all the bait we could possibly use. Two occasions we had to drain due to neighbors stocking fish. I know who did that by the way because it became a topic of conversation later in life.

FHM and crayfish for that matter have very strong niches in waters that fish predators struggle in. Many species of crayfish, including the water nymph crayfish that inhabited the prairies around our home don't even need standing water provide there is a dependable water table. Down hill of spring seeps usually supported a few burrows, for example. We really only wanted a FHM pond but crayfish found there way into the pond anyway.

Usually at some level of control, there are opportunities to diversify a production system and produce extra harvest. TP as Bill mentioned I think hold promise. He shared his experience but Bill I would like to know more about your stocking size and how much reproduction you got. To Eric's point, I think if there is a lot reproduction, there would be ill effect on FHM production due to predation of FHM fry and competition from TP. In other words, I would fear that unchecked reproduction of TP would squeeze out the FHM. Whether it would be sufficient to limit the FHM harvest below a minimum desired level ... maybe not because Bill must take a lot of FHM out annually to prevent too many from populating.

I think to some degree, it matters what species of TP. I think Niles and Blues will consume a lesser proportion of fish in their diet than do Moz. TP which are known to consume fish (which are completely digested with in hour). Although it doesn't apply to where I live (in Texas) or where the OP lives(in Missouri) but where legal I really like the addition of 1500 Blue or Nile fry/acre per acre to grow out along side the existing FHM. They should reach lengths >= 8" by fall and a person could begin harvesting them as they exceed 6". Fall reproduction of FHM would ensure a good standing of adults in the spring for bait and brood. If there were any shortage of FHM due to the TP, it would have to be in the late summer to early fall time frame when the standing weight of TP is high. I see this as very sustainable system where sources to TP fry are easily acquired. Blues and Niles produce a little less than 3000 eggs/lb so a single 1/2 lbs female and a male would be sufficient to produce the necessary stock in one cohort for 1 acre or less pond.