In my experience managing several ponds with SMB, WE, YP, HBCP and/or HSB serving as apex predator I've never witnessed tadpole predation - even through intentional experiments. Per Bytor, it might happen if faced with starvation, but I too have hundreds of thousands of AMBF tadpoles that exist seemingly without a care in the world.

I further agree that LMB and perhaps CC too are able to overcome the enzyme on the tadpole skin which discourages predation from other fish. Several on the forum report their tadpole populations plummeted once LMB were stocked.

I wish tadpoles were readily utilized as forage by SMB, HSB, YP, WE or BCP - my fish would all exhibit 150 WR and I'd never have to feed again!

Regarding SMB stock rates - depends on several factors including other predator, panfish, and forage species, fishery goals, supplemental feeding program, dedicated spawning beds, etc.

Depending on these factors I recommend clients stock 10-100/ac and potential supplemental stocking [in presence of LMB]. Tell us more and we can help provide more defined guidelines.

If you want you can contact me and I can cover a lot more ground over a 30 min chat. Email me at tj@hudlandmgmt.com and we can set up a time to circle around. I've been working with these species specifically the past 13 years and have made every mistake possible, happy to share my experiences.