SetterGuy that is great news! I'm assuming you have American Toads as they live on land but do their extremely loud mating calls and mating in a body of water. We have been privileged to live at the pond and so can watch for that moment when seemingly all at once the woods empty out of toads and the water starts boiling with animated lovemaking. Some years we get a nice stretch of warm weather and the activity goes on day and night for about 3 days and then they are gone. Some years a cold spell comes in and puts the mood on ice. This year we heard the frogs in the woods but then the cold put a stop to it so far. I hear the screech starting up in the woods again tonight as we have a balmy warm day.

Really fun to see the action take place every year as if on cue. I also notice that once the activity is going on the owls move in and have a feast. The eggs start out as barely visible strands but over a few days get larger, more gray, and more puffy looking.

The 'toad poles' seem to be exempt from predation in my pond. Swarms of little black blobs with tails get bigger and bigger and more mobile. They feast on the algae in the shallows and you will notice much clearer banks if you have algae there to eat. They eat right down to the sand in my pond.

Then one day they all sprout legs and start hopping through the grass towards the woods again.