1997, it sounds to me like you would consider the challenge of turning your pond around by hands on management called fishing. IMHO, nice problem to have, and just how I've approached improving our 1/4 acre pond.

12 years ago our primary fish were YP and LMB. I fished it for a couple of years just to be sure what really was in there. I wanted to understand the entire ecosystem, not just what fish were present.

What you could do without "hurting a thing" is remove each and every bass you catch, 3" ones, 12" ones, every one. Eventually your catch rate may go down and bass condition may improve.

After a few years of mainly having only small bass here, I began the cull. We took about 300! out. Concurrently we stocked about 25 adult GSF and 25 7-8" BG that were ready to spawn. We now have recruitment of both sunfish. And, our YP are bigger, too.

All of this is to say, start a ruthless, merciless cull. It is unlikely you'd ever kill every bass. Any survivors could be brood stock for the future. They may have lost growth, but they haven't lost their genetics. That is to say they might not reach their potential size before they die, but their offspring can grow to your desired 2-3 pounds once there is more forage for them and fewer mouths to gobble that forage.

With several more fishing excursions using small hooks and pieces of worm for bait, you'll get a good idea of what else, if anything, is in there, and if and what is needed for forage fish addition.