Whoa Nellie - not all pondmeisters desire to grow big LMB. Granted that seems to be the majority of folks interest but there are a lot of us that focus on other species - especially if the goal is table fare. I personally enjoy catching a 9" - 10" BG (sadly I have never caught one bigger than 10") as much as I do a large LMB. To me a big BG is more of a rare occurrence than a say an 8# LMB. As long as there are enough bass and no spawning habitat, channel cats can be controlled and provide great table fare - the key being to harvest which goes back to table fare.

My pond is 1-1/4 acres and was here when I bought the place. If it was bigger and I started from scratch the trophy LMB fishery might be a goal but adding habitat is difficult when the pond is already full. It doesn't take too much fishing to overfish a small pond and get hook shy LMB. I like to fish so I want species that I can wet a hook and do some catching not just fishing - especially when the grandkids are here. Maybe I am just not a good LMB fisherman.................