Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Dave Davidson1, Groundhog7, TropicalKoi), 709 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Raising Forage and Bait Jump to new posts
Re: Protecting Minnows ArkieJig 5 hours ago
The net is 1/4 mesh may have some issue with shiners but maybe not the fatheads. The LMB that are available in May are 2 to 3" and price is $1.80 per fish.
2 75 Read More
Raising Forage and Bait Jump to new posts
Re: Major Fail ArkieJig 5 hours ago
esshup, From what you said I was way over loaded, 1lb of fish per gallon of water over twice what you said with pure O2. I have a O2 tank I could rig up. Do you use a regulator like one on a cutting rig? What do you set the psi to? Does it require a nozzle or just an open hose? Will to much O2 cause a problem?
As far as the CNBG 2000 small 1 to 1 1/2" and 200 3 to 4" in each tank with 40 gallons of water. On that trip I hauled 40lbs of fatheads back in bags. The trip is about 1 1/2 hours and didn't loose a single one.
Anderson fish farm in Lonoke Ar
4 126 Read More
Types of fish to choose Jump to new posts
Re: New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal. esshup 7 hours ago
Target the LMB when they are spawning. The males are easy to catch when they are guarding the nest, and the females can be caught if they are hanging out around the nest getting ready to spawn. As for the BG, when they are nesting you can catch the males easily, and if you fish out about 2'-3' deeper than the BG nesting colony you can usually catch the female BG.

Easiest way to disrupt the spawning cycle is to catch and remove.
64 12,449 Read More
Fertilization Jump to new posts
Re: Muddy pond shores41 Yesterday at 06:37 PM
yes rectangular. Thanks for info
5 93 Read More
New Forum Member Introduction Jump to new posts
Re: 'Nother New Guy teehjaeh57 Yesterday at 06:36 PM
Hi John

Welcome to the forum. I help people with Pond Construction, rehab, and leak abatement nationwide, and I’m happy to share my experiences and provide some insights moving forward. I’m a volunteer moderator here and my time is always free to fellow Pond boss members. Feel free to reach out anytime, happy to help in anyway I can.

tj@hudlandmgmt.com
7 249 Read More
Questions & Observations Jump to new posts
Re: What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves esshup Yesterday at 02:23 PM
Pay attention to what Bill said. We did a two year test at a customers place that had 4 ponds, all in the woods, all about the same size and same depth. We aerated one with a grid based aeration system, aerated one with a grid based aeration system and threw in bacteria, just threw in bacteria with no aeration and left one alone with no aeration and no bacteria.

We found that compared to the pond that we left alone:

The pond with grid based aeration had 4" less muck build up.

The pond with grid based aeration and bacteria had 6" less muck build up.

The pond with bacteria and no aeration had 2" less muck build up.

The pond that we left alone had roughly 8"-10" muck build up over the 2 year test.

If you don't want to or can't put up a fence, leave tall grass or tall dense marginal plants grow up around the pond to trap the leaves before they get into the pond. Then rake the leaves away or burn the whole pond bank in late winter before things start growing.
4 199 Read More
Re: How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond? Dave Davidson1 Yesterday at 01:41 AM
Centex, I see you, at one point above, called your pond a tank. I knew without looking that you were from Texas. Hang in there.
22 2,699 Read More
Systems questions Jump to new posts
Re: 1/4 HP pond aerator pump esshup 04/18/24 11:58 PM
Steve:

Send me a PM with the pond address. I can map it from a satellite to verify the size. Go Daddy decided that they wouldn't support the web store format and couldn't transfer any of the data to their new system so I am looking into a new store format.

From where the compressor will be placed the first diffuser needs to be in the deepest part of the pond. That will give you an idea of the length of self sink tubing you will need. If the compressor will be at the edge of the pond, it needs to be inside a cabinet that has a fan to suck out the hot air - similar to a large desktop computer fan.

If the compressor will be in a building away from the pond, then you will need to trench in 1" black poly pipe to the edge of the pond and switch to self sinking tubing. If you need more than one diffuser, you will need a manifold box at the side of the pond or a manifold inside the cabinet that the compressor is in at the side of the pond.
4 159 Read More
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: Hi there quick question on going forward Joe7328 04/18/24 04:49 PM
Don’t really want to grow fish

Just want it back the way it was 3 years ago if that makes
Sense
19 849 Read More
Property Projects & Construction Jump to new posts
Re: Chestnut other trees for wildlife Augie 04/18/24 03:57 PM
Over the weekend I added two Dunstan Chestnut trees and replaced two that I killed by over-watering.

I've got six more to plant. Two are going in the house yard. I haven't decided where to put the last four.

Half a dozen of the trees in the grove have grown a foot or more out of the grow tube. It's time to pull those
tubes and replace them with wire cages.
106 21,905 Read More
Fly Fishing & Other Fish Species Jump to new posts
Re: How to catch Hybrid Striper Augie 04/18/24 03:39 PM
3" BG under a cork is the quickest way to catch the HSB in my pond.
10 402 Read More
Re: No feed HSB or CC small pond? esshup 04/18/24 03:02 PM
For NY, I'd look into Golden Shiners. There are no shad species that will survive the winter that won't cause problems down the road.

Here in N. Indiana Gizzard shad can grow from spawning to being too large for LMB to eat in less than a year. The local lake has Gizzard Shad in it. The last gill net survey the DNR did showed that they made up 60% of the fish biomass in the 365 acre lake.
6 236 Read More
Corrective stocking Jump to new posts
Re: Buying LMB esshup 04/18/24 02:56 PM
I'd be expecting the current hatch to be available in late June or July. I just picked up 3"-4" LMB from there on Monday.
1 77 Read More
Re: Braggin Time Dave Davidson1 04/18/24 12:12 PM
Send that excess wet stuff my way.
9 353 Read More
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: How many LMB to remove? Foozle 04/18/24 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Boondoggle
I'm curious. Did you say you were hand throwing food in the mornings? An auto feeder and quality fish food might help the BG rebound quicker which makes the LMB RW's better too.

The clear water and low fertility could be offset with a supplemental food program.

I have a Texas Hunter feeder set to go off in the morning and early evening. If I can't get the fertility up, perhaps I should add a second feeder to a different part of the pond to offset, as you suggest.
9 286 Read More
Re: Opportunistic Munchers Snipe 04/18/24 04:25 AM
This is something I have not witnessed.. I'd like to hear from Cody on this.
3 174 Read More
Fly Fishing & Other Fish Species Jump to new posts
Re: EURYHALINE POND UPDATE Fishingadventure 04/18/24 03:48 AM
RER , just spent a couple of very enjoyable hours reading of your Pond experience. Any Updates, Pray all is well.
451 814,913 Read More
Creating the food chain Jump to new posts
Re: Golden Shiners - What size to stock? Theeck 04/17/24 04:24 PM
Since esshup let me know that shiners don't spawn on brush, I ordered some spawning mats to put out. I actually had shiners nipping at a Rooster Tail yesterday so there are shiners surviving in the pond. I took the net down to chase any bass out and put it back up. Hopefully that takes care of the problem with the enclosure. Now I need to get some more shiners to put in the enclosure since the shiners probably left for the main pond too.

Here's the pond:
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/vx6XVgcg/013.avif[/img]

Some grass (Japanese Stiltgrass) hanging into the water (possible spawning cover in addition to the mats I ordered):

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/p5DzvDmZ/015.avif[/img]

The enclosure:

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/RqjgzRDc/016.avif[/img]

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/R3gNcgHy/018.avif[/img]
61 47,663 Read More
Creating the food chain Jump to new posts
Re: Stocking Scuds and Shrimp lmoore 04/17/24 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by NNAFish
Anthropic…curious if ended up adding scuds in your pond.

I have talked to Kyle at PLM and am planning on adding a couple gallons to our 1 acre pond in Iowa as soon as they can get out and harvest this winter. It’s been so mild that the ice hasn’t allowed them to harvest yet this year (2024). We have YP, W, SMB and RES.

In my research, scuds are a win win. They feed in decaying plants, animals and fish waste….and even algae. And they reproduce well if they have enough micro cover to hide in so they don’t get eaten right away.

I’m going to give it a shot to see if we can get another forage base established for our perch and walleye. If it works in Devil’s Lake to produce perch and walleye that they’re known for, it’s worth a shot.

Does PLM have a new website? I was on there this spring and it didn't seem like they had anything in stock.
10 7,021 Read More
Systems questions Jump to new posts
Re: aeration pump type? esshup 04/17/24 03:12 AM
Listen to Bill. Rotary vanes are a whole LOT easier to rebuild too.

Depending on how much ice/snow you get you might want one in 4-5 foot of water for winter aeration. You shouldn't run the in the deepest part of the pond during the winter.
3 181 Read More
Re: fishing tackle and tackle room Fishingadventure 04/17/24 03:05 AM
I'm with you FR , Grand Children and Great Grandchildren are the answer . 14 plain Grands , 2 Great Grands , take all I can have. I give thanks for every one . Couldn't have stocked Saugeye last week without the help of a older one.
50 46,637 Read More
Property Projects & Construction Jump to new posts
Re: What did you do at your pond today? FishinRod 04/16/24 06:49 PM
[Notifications test. Please ignore.]
4,638 3,504,197 Read More
Re: instant email notifications of post replies ? Augie 04/16/24 02:31 PM
No, the report to admin flag is at the right side of each post next to the share post button.
The follow thread flag is at the top next to the thread options drop-down.
4 322 Read More
Soil questions Jump to new posts
Re: Compaction Question teehjaeh57 04/16/24 04:54 AM
Hey Kris been a while. Reach out - let’s huddle and strategize. Happy to help in any way I can.
6 2,864 Read More
Show off your catch Jump to new posts
Re: What type of fry? Sunil 04/16/24 01:58 AM
You are welcome, and I agree that those fish were probably born last year.

Due to their smaller size, I would guess they're born late summer '23.
4 201 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy