Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bleach136, Pondless, id242, The Mule, clm1117
17,712 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics39,664
Posts539,757
Members17,713
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 26,611
ewest 20,961
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 14,221
Who's Online Now
12 members (rjackson, azteca, Huntmaster, Pat Williamson, catscratch, Sunil, Randall27, Bobbss, Quarter Acre, Chris Steelman, tylerd1994, Pondless), 341 guests, and 117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Identifying plants Jump to new posts
Re: Id? Pat Williamson 5 minutes ago
Does it have a garlicky smell when crushed? If so it appears to be chara
1 20 Read More
Creating habitat Jump to new posts
Re: Plastic culvert for bass / bait ???? Quarter Acre 49 minutes ago
Most plastics have a specific gravity very near that of water. This means that most plastic will barely float, barely sink, or suspend mid water column. You will want something to weigh it down, otherwise it's highly likely to move on you.

Are the culverts double wall corrugated? If so, I would cut/drill many holes on each rib to help it waterlog. If it is double wall...the ribs may be a good place to pour some wetted sack-crete in to weigh them down.
4 95 Read More
Feeding Jump to new posts
Re: Fish Feed Questions snrub 1 hour ago
Makes my head hurt.

Think I will just keep feeding for the fun of it rather than performance.

Just got home yesterday after being gone for three and a half months. Drove the 4-wheeler around the pond once (amongst the three foot tall grass on the dam that needed mowed a month ago) and fish wakes coming toward the shore. They have not forgot what the dinner bell is. Guess I need to get some feed bought. At least the fish think I do.
17 450 Read More
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: I finally got my small pond! It's just kinda big!! CityDad 3 hours ago
Had a great time camping. Mostly goofing off. Did spend some time fishing, had a few get away from me, culled a 1lber and caught a healthy looking 2.5lber.

I did actually walk (hopping over the bad mud) to my island and fished a bit from the other side. Had some bites but I still suck at hooksetting.

Rain still going around the farm and not hitting it direct frown Maybe enough rain will hit the river so the creek can go back to filling me up that way? Wishful thinking...
261 48,271 Read More
Show off your catch Jump to new posts
Re: Historic Black Bass day in Texas Sunil 3 hours ago
So, Rod, is that you in the camo waders??
27 1,524 Read More
Re: Goose Problem and Bluegill Spawn Tbar 12 hours ago
Originally Posted by anthropic
The only thing worse than six geese is twice that many!

18 699 Read More
Pond Boss Jump to new posts
Re: Happy Birthday Bob-O RStringer 14 hours ago
Sounds like he is doing his favorite thing - happy birthday 2ya
4 74 Read More
Questions & Observations Jump to new posts
Re: What am I seeing in my pond? Theo Gallus 15 hours ago
My SMB pond always has a bumper crop of Bullfrog tadpoles. My LMB pond never has any to be seen. The two ponds are about 75 yards apart.
12 215 Read More
Types of fish to choose Jump to new posts
Re: 1.1 acre pond in middle tennesse LANGSTER Yesterday at 11:53 PM
Friend of mine took me to 4 acre pond yesterday, It was great! We harvested 40 RES 9 to 11 inch and 19 blue gill 9 to 10 inch. It was full off bass we saw small ones everywhere caught 15. That is what I would love to turn this pond stocking into. The RES hit worms, jigs, road runner, and the blue gill crickets and worms. I am thinking about going 300 CNBG and at least 100 to 200 more RES, they fillet like crappie at 10 to eleven inches thick and had shoulders. Then I add 100 bass in october, just thought I would share that. Thanks again, I maybe totally wrong but I think reason people don't catch shellcracker is they do not stock enough, this guy said he stocked this lake/pond ten years ago with 1000 BG and 1000 RES. We caught 2 to 1 RES, I never fished a good bream pond that did not have lots of bass!
17 707 Read More
Re: Teaching forage pond fish to fear: A notion jpsdad Yesterday at 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by anthropic
But that raises another point: What if we raised forage fish exclusively for the best LMB we can catch? Get a big BG population going, then transfer two or three large female LMB into the forage pond for a few weeks. The BG wouldn't feed all the bass in the main BOW, skinny, fat, male, or female, but only the best. Then transfer the LMB back.

Very focused weight gain for those seeking trophies. Obviously not the best strategy for overall bass weight, but fewer BG "wasted" on LMB that we don't want anyhow.

Frank, Al has a similar project going but it will be his neighbor's trophy pond. A goldilocks quantity of big brooding BG that will flood the pond with 1" to 3" BG for limited number of Female BG. I'm excited to see where this takes the LMB. A forage pond is kind of small and this will limit one when it comes to producing as many large fish as you might otherwise be able to grow. But I get the theme which I think has merit, separate food availability so that rations are not limiting for the few LMB on trophy path. So I will just throw a few things out.

Instead of the forage pond, what if you trained trophy path to eat fish that are too big for them to eat. So this would involve a decent sized cage for training that would be at the dock. It would also involve large Z-Traps that are constructed of pvc and seine mesh (I am talking 4' x 4' x 2.5' size). What you would do is throw a few LMB into the cage and you would train them to eat 6" to 9" BG that are cut into chunks. Kind of like lump pellets. And you could train them on those too. Your forage pond could supply replacement in the 1-3 in lengths. So everyday twice a day go out clank a pipe (clank clank) and then proceed to train/feed. If some of the LMB don't learn, kill them and use them for chuck food. Tag and release the rest and now train more. When you clank clank, the release fish will come to and so you might want to feed them first and clank clank again before training the captives. Use LMB culls and BG that the Large LMB may be having trouble capturing. The advantage is that you are providing high quality rations to a limited number of fish. If you are short on fish to chunk in this way, some feed lumps would give the LMB some supplement food.

You need around 48 or so in your impoundment and so imagine 6 fish per acre averaging 36 lbs/acre (6 lbs per fish) for a total weight of 288 lbs in your 8 acre impoundment. The total maintenance for such a population is ~1500 lbs (wet weight) a year. If provided over 150 days you would need 10 lbs of fish chunks per day. If you split it half fish have feed lumps ... then you would need 4 bags of lumps and 5 lbs of fish chunks per day (on average). It would take a little more to factor growth but with a starting weight of 48 lbs (assuming 1lb LMB for training) growing to 288 lbs over three years we are talking 80 lbs gain/year which would require ~ 800 lbs of Forage or 160 lbs of lump. Ideally, in year 3 you would cull at 1 per acre/year and add one per acre year. Since we are just exercising our imaginations of what is possible.

For fish you eat, you may be surprised to know the carcass dry weight probably is some where in the neighborhood of 35% protein. Mixed with whole fish on an equal weight basis this renders 53.5 % protein feed. Now there is a remarkable amount of phosphorus and calcium in such a homemade feed but this came from the pond so it won't hurt your pond as long you are controlling the addition of other nutrient inputs. Seems to me like a way to assist a ponds nutrient cycling while gaining weight on the largest predators which usually have a tougher time of finding appropriately sized prey. You probably wouldn't want to get as deep in the woods as making your own feed from fish carcasses and fresh fish but I think a binding agent like corn starch at 5% dry weight or less might be sufficient binding to form hydrated lumps (though I am probably wrong about that ... its just I am imagining you doing it successfully. I might try a hand at it next year and share how bad or good it works out)
13 204 Read More
Re: Middle of pond? anthropic Yesterday at 11:31 PM
catscratch, I've been very pleased with the HSB in my pond. They flourished for several years even without TFS, though I now stock TFS annually.

HSB will compete with LMB, so better to stock a limited number and see how things go.
9 320 Read More
Re: Help me fix this disaster FireIsHot Yesterday at 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
So you can post pix from an iPhone?
Pat, I'm not sure. I'm not sure how the forum plays with phones.
7 121 Read More
Re: Feed Yellow-perch fry differently. FishinRod Yesterday at 07:37 PM
azteca,

Do your toads only spawn once per year, or can you induce them to have some additional spawns?
7 347 Read More
Re: Frustrated. Pat Williamson Yesterday at 07:30 PM
Watch the way the fry moves around and you can see after a while bg and minnows act different
34 1,100 Read More
Re: Structure in our new pond FishinRod Yesterday at 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by H20fwler
The pea gravel is on the ledge under the wood duck box?

The stone was put in around the pond as soon as it was finished last summer.

Thanks.

I was hoping your band of large rock would have diffused the water flow pathways enough that the runoff did not create those erosive channels in your side slopes so quickly.

Dang, moving water is impressive in its erosive power!

Still hoping your pond is full soon - so it can switch over to just aquatic conditions.
22 2,898 Read More
Property Projects & Construction Jump to new posts
Re: What did you do at your pond today? Pat Williamson Yesterday at 04:42 AM
Throwing feed in on pier in about 4’ water there is a 5-7# lmb that gives the bg what for…. Knocking them out of the water…. Not sure she is catching any but she has been there almost every day at various times … wanting to rid of a bunch of bg…. Fun to watch
3,397 2,004,220 Read More
Re: Thoughts on a new 2.7 acre pond stocking Heppy 05/14/22 04:34 PM
I’m not sure about solar. Ours is hardwired. Here’s the website.
https://www.deepglow.com/
231 61,099 Read More
Raising Forage and Bait Jump to new posts
Re: New CNBG pond FireIsHot 05/14/22 01:28 PM
Thanks Scott, they do have some good deals. Mine's 10X60, and it's still too small. I'm feeding near the dock, so most of the CNBG should be in that area. That'll help a lot.

It seems as though we've had our first spawn. I'm seeing dozens of 1/2 to 3/4" fry swimming in algae at the top end of the pond. I started feeding them fish food dust this morning. A few did come to it, so hopefully they'll train the others.
292 440,957 Read More
Raising Forage and Bait Jump to new posts
Re: Less than half-acre pond threadfin or gizzard shad clm1117 05/14/22 01:21 PM
I’m in NC. I think it’s fine here.
6 221 Read More
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: Shock survey results jpsdad 05/14/22 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Snipe
I have to enter my thoughts here..
We spend thousands upon thousands on electrofishing equipment and then measure and weigh in inches and pounds/ounces.
mm and grams are in order. It's been proven to me time after time that pounds/ounces/inches can create up to a 15% error in WR and bad assumptions are made because corners were cut on accuracy.
This is something I don't think is "good" in fisheries management, if it isn't as accurate as possible, how can you adjust or manage with faulty data????
Sorry guys, I'm OCD with this particular step.

Kenny, I agree that the degree of precision is very important. Like you I would prefer mm and grams because these units lend to very good degree of precision for fish that are > 5" in length. mm and grams are easy to read from scales and tapes.

That said. A similar degree of precision can be obtained if one has sufficiently sensitive measuring tools. For example, if a English unit tape is divided into 1/32 of an inch AND if the one taking the measurement doesn't take shortcuts of rounding then the degree of precision is actually just a tiny bit better than mm. Even so, a tape with mm is the hammer and the 1/32" scale is a rock. I would much rather drive a nail with hammer and than a rock because it is the most appropriate tool. So same goes for the tape. Your measurement will not need conversion into decimal notation and it is far easier and faster to take the measurement very accurately with a tape graded in mm.

A weight scale needs to have sufficient sensitivity to measure small increments of change. Some scales display a greater degree of precision than they are actually sensitive to. But if grams are the degree of precision sought, the scale must be sensitive to 1 gram increments. So this is easily checked (though most instruments declare sensitivity) by adding the increment to an existing weighed item and checking to see if the increment registers. If measuring in pounds on a decimal scale the scale must provide measurement in 1 thousandths of lbs and be sensitive to register .001 lb increments.

The problem with rounding and degree of precision is very much exacerbated with fish at the smaller end of the spectrum becoming more muted with large fish.

In looking over the LMB in the table, I think the surveyors may have attained a very acceptable degree of precision. The length measurements seem to be incremented to the nearest .05". So the tape was probably 1/10 graded with possible 1/2 ticks. Whether the tenths were half ticked or not, the data collected suggests that the measurements take were taken with care either to the finest degree of precision graded on the tape or possibly making additional effort to record precision finer than the tape graduation. The nearest .05 (1/20th) inch is a little larger than a millimeter by ~ 0.27 mm. So on the first fish, assuming a very accurate measurement to the nearest .05 inch the variation or uncertainty in relative terms is less than 9 parts in 10,000. Don't know if this alarmed you but the number of exactly 13" did catch my attention. With degree of precision at 0.05 this did seem a little odd but that doesn't of course mean that they were not 13" to the nearest 0.05"

On the weight end, increments of 0.01 lbs is about 4.5 times greater than grams. Assuming the sensitivity to 0.01 lbs the uncertainty of measurement relative to a gram sensitive instrument is about 4.5 parts in 1000 for first and lightest fish. The parts uncertainty for larger fish is less than that. All in all, there was sufficient precision here I think but one surely does not want to pull out a fish de-liar and round to the nearest quarter or half inch. This would yield results that are not very accurate.
22 421 Read More
Pond Boss Jump to new posts
Re: Kelly Duffie Pond Plant Guru's Birthday esshup 05/14/22 04:48 AM
Thanks Kelly!!
11 570 Read More
Controlling unwanted plants Jump to new posts
Re: Help identifying grass esshup 05/14/22 04:47 AM
7 135 Read More
Re: 1/2 acre stocking rate esshup 05/14/22 04:33 AM
It also depends on when the LMB are available. We've stocked the BG in the Spring and came back in the Fall to stock the LMB because they weren't available in the Spring. Stock the correct amount for your pond goals and either Spring or Fall will work up here.
20 934 Read More
Creating the food chain Jump to new posts
Re: tilapia only pond for bait? esshup 05/14/22 04:29 AM
Tilapia will eat the duckweed. Adding more small Tilapia to the bigger pond sure won't hurt. We won't be stocking Tilapia until the end of the month, while the surface water temp is warm enough now to stock them (77°F today), the water temp at 5' water depth was only 62°F.

How's the pond behind the house looking?
3 175 Read More
Re: Stand Pipe degrading esshup 05/14/22 04:21 AM
Jerry:

Slip the bigger pipe over the metal pipe. Get some long self tapping screws. Drill clearance holes in the plastic pipe, run them into the rusting inner metal pipe. Use 4-6 screws. That is only temp fix because the rusting pipe is also rusting under the ground and at some point in the future it will have to be dug up and replaced.
1 63 Read More
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Plastic culvert for bass / bait ????
by Quarter Acre - 05/16/22 10:42 AM
Fish Feed Questions
by snrub - 05/16/22 09:34 AM
Id?
by catscratch - 05/16/22 09:30 AM
Historic Black Bass day in Texas
by Sunil - 05/16/22 07:48 AM
Goose Problem and Bluegill Spawn
by Tbar - 05/15/22 10:47 PM
Happy Birthday Bob-O