Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jreb79, NWFalcon, FishNut87, LUKEM, Jase0321
16933 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics38,355
Posts520,363
Members16,934
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 24,592
ewest 20,345
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 13,490
Who's Online Now
4 members (RAH, wbuffetjr, Dave Davidson1, Theo Gallus), 197 guests, and 431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Product sources Jump to new posts
Re: Kubota, LS, Branson & Mahindra Tractors RAH 4 minutes ago
The tail wheel is definitely at risk, as is denting/twisting the deck. The heavy duty 5' Bush Hog brush mower that I have has withstood what the King Kutter would not. I bent back the wheel assembly on that one more than a couple times. I have used my brush mowers pretty hard including backing over some pretty large multiflora rose clumps and lower it down to take them out (when clearing land). Probably pretty tough on my PTO as well, but my JD 1070 has done pretty well over the last 30 years.
61 4,341 Read More
Systems questions Jump to new posts
Re: 9 acre pond at 10,000' - lots of aeration ?s wbuffetjr 17 minutes ago
Scott,

I would bet a stack that the windmill domes over. My unit is a double compressor. This is directly from Koenders "At 1 ft of depth you will get 3 cfm...at 10' about 2.5 etc." I replaced the 3/8" line they provide with 5/8" line. The tower sits in about 1' of water and my airline goes straight down into deeper water. As far as I know mine has never frozen up. It will make a wet spot here and there throughout the winter. I am almost positive it is struggling due to doming. We moved it closer to shore and near a boulder that sticks out of the water. Will see if that improves its' performance this year. If the pipe works then next year it'll get a pipe and we will watch yet another experiment. Oh isn't learning so much FUN!!
699 528,952 Read More
Questions & Observations Jump to new posts
Re: Taking Baitfish From Your State Waters Dave Davidson1 33 minutes ago
Well, if the law is pretty clear about something, you could get in trouble. But, I doubt that the average GW is going to spend time worrying about it. However, catch that same GW on the wrong day and you get a ticket. And, honorable intentions don't help.
5 99 Read More
Pond Boss Jump to new posts
Happy Birthday, Dave Davidson! Theo Gallus 43 minutes ago
Happy Birthday to Muleshoe's finest ever!

(I looked it up; it's true.)
0 3 Read More
New Forum Member Introduction Jump to new posts
Re: New member here from Oklahoma RAH 3 hours ago
Does the pipe show signs of degradation?
4 117 Read More
Building a dam Jump to new posts
Re: Building new forage mini pond FishinRod 6 hours ago
I asked snrub the same thing about the hump in the forage pond.

That is actually the old "edge" of the pond. He dug the original pond with his dozer. He later decided that he wanted a slightly larger pond - so he dug out a little more on one end using only his backhoe.

We found out the hard way that the bottom of the original pond that was compacted with dozer treads was much firmer for walking than the bottom of the portion that was excavated with a backhoe on the bank and never compacted at all!

If the muck had been any deeper - we would have needed to go on a Snipe hunt. laugh
290 121,175 Read More
Feeding Jump to new posts
Re: On Time Feeders VS all others. Mounting over water FishNut87 8 hours ago
Hey jpsdad thanks for your input. I'll attempt to answer your questions. 2 months ago, we had a biologist perform a fish survey. Our lake was built in the 1970's and the dam has failed 3 times with the last time being in 2005. The lake is 80 acres and is fed by a creek that runs all year. There is 5500 acres of watershed that flows through the lake so it resembles that of a creek system(somewhat tannic) and the watershed:pool ratio is 63:1. Pretty much every species of fish exists in the lake that you'd normally see in middle GA(LMB, Crappie, Bluegill, shiners, threadfin and gizzard shad, catfish, chain pickerel, creekchub suckers, etc. Up until about 7 years ago, the fishing was really quite unbelievable, with normal catches of very large crappie(3 lbs+), bream(1.5lbs+) and LArgemouth(over 10lbs). Numerous fish were caught by any angles on just about every outing. 5 years ago the weeds were getting bad and a couple of the folks wanted to get grass carp, which we did, and they did away with the weeds. Since then, the fishing has just gone downhill each year. A few months ago, the neighboring landowners around the lake(there are 10 of us total, with 8 houses) "nominated" me to head up a revitalization project to get the fishing back up to par. There were multiple recommendations made by the biologist, all of which we are going to attempt to follow, except the siphon system(The primary lake owner will not agree to this). These include installing 16 feeders around the lake to feed the bluegill to help them grow more quickly and reach spawning size(within the next month), removal of as many bass under 14" as possible via electrofishing this winter, stocking 21,000 3-4" bluegills in spring 2021, 6 loads of shad spring of 21, attempt to fertilize(although, I'm not sure it will be feasible due to the high flow through). We have implemented catch and keep on small bass. Everyone is on board. There is very little fishing pressure, so we'll have to do all we can to manage/maintain the population. I'll be paying for the food and fertilizer(if we decide to fertilize). The water quality is decent, at 21 ppm hardness.
6 247 Read More
Creating habitat Jump to new posts
Re: New member & New Pond RAH Yesterday at 04:36 PM
You must be taking very good care of him to reach that age. Lucky dog!
16 365 Read More
Re: Carrying Capacity versus Pond Size FishinRod Yesterday at 04:31 PM
TGW1,

The kids that fish the pond will always have fun catching the "culling" size fish. If I did manage to raise a 6-7# LMB, it would be fun for me to catch. However, it would be WAY MORE FUN to see the smile on the face of a little person if they did manage to land that fish!

Thanks for your response - it did confirm what I was thinking. I was also thinking of "trophy" fishing with a big bait shop goldfish or a full 12" earthworm. Something that looks tasty, but the fish in the pond have never seen before.
30 580 Read More
Wildlife Management Jump to new posts
Re: Dozers moving in. FishinRod Yesterday at 03:14 PM
Mike Otto can use a dozer to collect every drop of available water.

Tracy can now use a dozer to collect "extra" water for his ponds.

When you write your book showing all of us how to bring the rains on command, I predict you will sell thousands of copies on Pond Boss alone! laugh

P.S. Hopefully, if you can't get your duck habitat finished, you will at least get enough rain in your existing ponds to raise the water to the "duck-friendly" levels.
4 151 Read More
Muddy water Jump to new posts
Re: New Pond/Muddy Water Pond_Rookie_Ptow Yesterday at 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Flame
The stocking of your bluegill and other forage fish first is so they can get large enough to reproduce and have plenty of forage in your pond BEFORE you stock your bass. Good luck. The Pros will be along shortly to give you their advise.

Thanks for the feedback Flame. So, if I only stock the bait/forage fish in, say Feb or Mar, how long should I wait to stock the LMB and CCs? How often do the forage fish reproduce? I plan to have some larger logs about 8-10 feet out in the pond and partially on shore for them to place eggs under. anything else I can do to encourage breeding amongst the FHM, HBG, and RES? Thanks
7 208 Read More
Property Projects & Construction Jump to new posts
Re: Old new pond... new user HTNFSH2 Yesterday at 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by Dave_IA
Just saw this post...getting to it late, sorry.

But...I feel your pain. I had a 2-1/2 acre pond completed in July, 2016, and it did not fill due to drought until Fall of 2018. Harrumph. It was about 1/2 full in June, 2017, but it took another 15'ish months to totally fill.

It was simply a lack of rain/drought. When we did get some rain in that dry period the ground would soak up the moisture so fast that nothing was left for runoff to fill the pond. But...the good news is that when the rains finally came it filled up just fine.

I suspect yours will too.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave_IA. She rose about 1.5" over thanksgiving and the ground is staying damp. Hoping for some snow and serious runoff throughout the winter.
20 2,048 Read More
Image Gallery Jump to new posts
Re: Chara or Coontail? Bill Cody Yesterday at 02:49 AM
Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between Chara and Coontail. The leaves on your plants have small spines and both plant types can have similar shapes unless one looks very closely at the leaves. I would like better pictures with a few close images of the growing stem tips. One predictable way to tell if it is Chara is to crush a handful of it and see if you get a garlic or strong earthy or skunky odor; NOTE some chara species do not have the strong odor. Your plant resembles Chara vularis (type with strong garlicky odor) that when grows in deep clear water it results in longer stem length between the nodes and it often has the small looking spines on the leaves.
I cannot see the individual leaves close enough and well enough to completely eliminate the Naiad species. Stems and leaf arrangement on your plants look like one of the Naiad species. Again I need better pictures or a few live specimens.
2 37 Read More
Re: will turning aeriation off help muddy water Flame 11/28/20 02:53 PM
Tracy, right now 9 foot IS MY DEEPEST water. I believe I followed your placement plan several years back. I have ALL 3 diffusers in the deepest part of the pond about 20 foot from each other in a triangle.
9 236 Read More
Pond Boss Jump to new posts
Re: Is my magazine in the mail? 4CornersPuddle 11/28/20 01:19 AM
Mine came today.
17 519 Read More
Re: Addind LMB in cold weather FishinRod 11/27/20 10:16 PM
Looks beautiful!

Good luck harvesting a deer this fall and growing out some nice LMB next year.

(My doctor keeps telling me to diversify my diet - looks like you are gonna' have that covered!)
9 223 Read More
Controlling unwanted plants Jump to new posts
Re: How to kill Hydrilla? esshup 11/27/20 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by LaBassmaster
esshup, I can't find your response that you mention?

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=40647&Number=527822#Post527822
4 221 Read More
Systems questions Jump to new posts
Re: Fountain pump help Bill Cody 11/26/20 11:17 PM
Consider the aerator company used a pump that was not actually designed for the way it was being used. Here is a very good example: using a shop air compressor as air production for aerating a pond. Bad idea.
3 148 Read More
Water chemistry Jump to new posts
Re: Puzzled by Lab results Freedomeagle 11/26/20 03:55 PM
FishindRod, I misspoke a tad earlier. I just doublechecked my records and the water sample was actually drawn and sent off the day before the heavy rainfall. With that said, yes, the heavy runoff did produce the "tea color" and I never equated that with the tannic acid in the runoff. Thanks for the 'edumication" on that issue.

No fish kill, in fact, the RBT are still very active at the feeders.

I am going to re-test. I talked to the lab about that yesterday. I have some extra BPA-free, sterilized honey jars leftover from my honey extraction this year and I am going to use one of those for the repeat water sample.

I'm still a bit befuddled by this, particularly with no discernible swing in the pH.

Thanks again for your input.
4 129 Read More
Re: Best time of year to treat with alum? TGW1 11/26/20 01:28 PM
If they were setting on the ponds bottom then I would say they contribute to the suspended clays. Or at least they did @ my pond.
9 263 Read More
Re: Mechanical Means to Stop Wild Fish Contamination FishinRod 11/25/20 10:50 PM
Thanks Bill. (Dr. Perca rides to the rescue again!)

I knew some of the fish-raising experts would know the exact sizes.

That would also explain why FireIsHot has not suffered any contamination with his careful use of his 300 micron bag system.
10 296 Read More
Re: New Pond Dave Davidson1 11/25/20 09:19 PM
I have no idea on time. I THINK that depends on the composition of the soil.
20 873 Read More
Raising Forage and Bait Jump to new posts
Re: Medaka - Japanese rice fish (Oryzias latipes) Theo Gallus 11/25/20 07:20 PM
Wikipedia on Medaka for anyone who is interested in Medaka but also as ignorant as I am.

From this position of ignorance, I'd want the Northern variety if I was overwintering Medaka under ice.
2 227 Read More
Property Projects & Construction Jump to new posts
Re: What did you do at your pond today? neopond 11/25/20 06:20 PM
Don't know if any other members do leaf removal from their BOW, but in an attempt reduce leaves that will eventually become muck on the pond bottom, I've made multiple trips with a 8' kayak my wife gifted me last spring, this Fall. I use a couple different pool strainers and bring a 5-gallon bucket with me for the "harvest".

When we first bought the property I thought shading the pond water could benefit the summer water temps and provide some improved, lo-light environment for the LMB. Fast-forward 30+ years and growth of 10 to 15' saplings into mature trees, I now realize one should be very thoughtful about the quantity and type of trees located near the pond. Some of the trees were present when we purchased the residence, so I can't take ALL of the credit! Deciduous trees upwind and within 30' of the pond can be a big problem. My leaf harvest consists of Maple, Pin Oak, White pine (needles) and now Bald Cypress leaves. I made about half a dozen kayak trips in October and November combined for leaf removal from the pond surface. I estimate that I removed over 60 gallons (packed volume) of leaves from our 1/4 acre pond. The small size of the pond is part of the problem too, of course. I added aeration to the pond the summer of 2019 and I've seen a significant reduction in muck. It doesn't help, however, to have trees adding significant volumes of organic material to the pond every fall season. I now have earmarked three trees for removal next spring to reduce the organic material introduced into the pond which should reduce the number of Fall kayak trips for leaf removal.

Just be careful what you wish for with regards to shade trees planted near your BOW. 50' to 60' tall Maples and Oaks drop a LOT of leaves every year. And in the wrong location, many of the leaves will end up in your pond. And while paddling around in a kayak can be relaxing-- it's not as much fun scooping leaves from the pond surface from the kayak....
2,506 1,069,361 Read More
Controlling unwanted plants Jump to new posts
Re: New algae I have not seen? Theo Gallus 11/25/20 03:59 PM
Nice descriptive pic, QA.
7 587 Read More
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Today's Birthdays
Clover, Dave Davidson, Dave Davidson1, Mike Wood, Troy Ace
Recent Posts
Kubota, LS, Branson & Mahindra Tractors
by RAH - 11/30/20 05:35 AM
8 acre pond at 10,000' - lots of aeration ?s