Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
SueSanderson, hawkeye05, CW0808, Razorback, TinD
17188 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics38,775
Posts526,956
Members17,189
Most Online3,583
Jan 15th, 2020
Top Posters
esshup 25,260
ewest 20,560
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 13,727
Who's Online Now
18 members (anthropic, Quarter Acre, Heppy, DrLuke, Kris B, Boone60Tn, Bobbss, Andrew Epperson, catscratch, Kyscentlok, RAH, Sunil, JIMS SVT, 4CornersPuddle, 76GALANT, Theo Gallus, Lyn, Mongos Pond), 291 guests, and 419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Questions & Observations Jump to new posts
Re: Another winter kill DrLuke 22 minutes ago
Very sorry to hear that Dave. Kind of strange on the big pond kill vs not the small or creek. Does the creek feed the small pond? Maybe it created a higher DO saturation in the moving creek water, and that fed the small pond?
I've heard the phrase 'misery loves company'. What a load of horse pucky. I wouldn't wish anyone joined the 'kill club'. It takes a while to get perspective on what you control (which isn't near as much as we like to think) when it comes to our ponds. Don't spend too much time worrying about it, and start planning for the next generation of big fish you'll grow.
Hang in there pard.
4 73 Read More
Pond Boss Jump to new posts
Augie's Another Year Closer to Pond Perfection! Quarter Acre 48 minutes ago
Congrats Augie...Happy Happy B-day!
0 10 Read More
Pond Boss Jump to new posts
Re: Another Havasu Giant RES Sunil 2 hours ago
HBD, Augie!!
16 294 Read More
Re: Optimal Junior feed NEDOC 2 hours ago
I can't absolutely prove it either, but I'm nearly certain redear would get pellets that have settled to the bottom.
25 673 Read More
Renovating a Pond or Lake? Jump to new posts
Re: New property, old pond. What to do? SueSanderson 4 hours ago
Excellent work with the area calculation.
9 2,057 Read More
Raising Forage and Bait Jump to new posts
Minnows not feeding in Forage pond? Kyscentlok 8 hours ago
Minnows in forage pond are not feeding hardly at all
the ones in 1 acre pond are feeding like crazy
Minnow pond dimensions
18 yards. 54 feet
10 yards. 30 feet
Average depth
2.5 feet
Deepest 4ft
Thursday April 15.
Added 15 pounds shiners 15 pounds rosy red each in minnow pond and 1 acre pond

1acre pond water samples sent off ph was 7.4
Did not check my minnow pond but it is murky
It eventually drains into pond through a 6” overflow pipe. Visibility 5”

1acre visibility 22”

Curious if adding pellet lime might clear
And have them feed like the 1acre pond?
0 26 Read More
Re: Guessing why Fla & N LMB aren't the same anthropic 8 hours ago
Good info, Ross. Thanks!
20 733 Read More
Evaluating and adjusting fish populations Jump to new posts
Re: Containing Fish in a Pen anthropic 8 hours ago
Awesome! Bet you're glad you got your dock built before lumber prices soared!
2 76 Read More
Property Projects & Construction Jump to new posts
Re: Metal to Metal Heppy 9 hours ago
FireIsHot,
I’m going to show my friends this. Absolutely amazing job!
112 46,248 Read More
Sunfish-Including Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass Jump to new posts
Re: Trouble catching bluegill Heppy 9 hours ago
Mike,
I’m guessing that the 3 inch HBG were lunch for the 8-10 inch LMB and the 20 hand sized HBG haven’t started spawning yet because the water temperature is 54 degrees. I have neither fish but there is a rule to follow that LMB can eat other fish up to 2/3 their body length I believe. Someone can correct me on that if I’m wrong. I’m curious of the size perch (Yellow Perch)? If I understand correctly you hit the 10:1 ratio of HBG (or maybe it’s BG) to LMB on the money. An expert will let you know how to proceed. This is a great site with people willing to help! Good luck!
5 134 Read More
Re: What did you do at your pond today? anthropic 9 hours ago
Originally Posted by Pat Williamson
Spent part of the day weedeating 475 ‘ of the dam today.... I tired!
Watched fish attacking weed pieces that went in water

Topwater opportunity? I've seen fish go nuts on ponds where mowing sent grasshoppers fleeing into the water.

Went fishing today, harvested about ten. Nothing huge, but fun. Saw one dirty nasty cormorant. For whatever reason, hummingbirds have stopped visiting our feeders, a real disappointment.

Water still tinged green, but not nearly enough despite 75 lb of fertilizer so far. Even saw a few RBT at the feeder, but LMB, CNBG, and HSB dominated. Extensive CNBG beds now clearly visible around the pond in the usual places.
2,778 1,343,932 Read More
Controlling unwanted plants Jump to new posts
Re: How to control FA (filamentous algae) Bobbss 12 hours ago
Is it a big deal if it rains a day or two after spraying Cutrine Plus? Do I need to make sure there is no rain in the forecast?
58 4,035 Read More
Selecting a site Jump to new posts
Re: Topsoil How Close to Waterline? ted_1209 13 hours ago
That’s helpful Quarter Acre, thank you. I like the idea of putting a small layer to below the waterline, and then get grass growing before it fills. That way hopefully the grass goes down right to the waterline, but the topsoil doesn’t go too much past it. Let me try that. Thank you for the advice.
4 147 Read More
Re: I finally got my small pond! It's just kinda big!! Augie Yesterday at 08:43 PM
Depends. What size cooler do you consider to be "big"? What's the water temp? What's the air temp? What size are the fish?

If the water or air temp is >80° F I'd rather wait until things cool down in the fall. If I absolutely had to haul them in hot weather I'd use
my 275 gallon transport tank and aerate with industrial oxygen.

Getting bait to the river alive is one thing. Getting fish to your pond without overly stressing them is something else entirely.
You might get them there alive only to have them croak after you turn them loose in your pond.
111 9,003 Read More
Feeding Jump to new posts
Re: Yellow-perch larvae and fry.(video). ewest Yesterday at 08:17 PM
Any new YP fry videos ?
41 4,694 Read More
Re: Cormorants: Bye, bye, Birdies? RossC Yesterday at 08:02 PM
Our lake is too big to use twine or such. I run them off the roost at dusk as often at possible, shoot at them, etc. I wish I could afford the Harris hawk crew we used at work to run off the grackles. Those hawks could clear them out and they wouldn't come back.
21 742 Read More
Re: Deciphering a 20+ year old unmanaged pond 1997pond Yesterday at 06:51 PM
The deed is done. 150 4-5" BG released into the pond this morning plus 3 lbs of FHM. Will start hand tossing tomorrow. I suspect it will be at least a day or two before they get acclimated and back on their feed.

I also dropped a total of five 6-7' scrub cedar trees into the pond which previously didn't have much structure. The pond is only 2/3 acres on the surface but remarkedly deep throughout. From most banks the water is 6-8' deep within three feet of the bank. The pond is 11' at the deepest. I placed the cedars in 9 to 6 foot of water toward the "shallower" end of the pond.

I'm very curious to see how this all plays out!
26 1,213 Read More
Wildlife Management Jump to new posts
Re: What size fish can Cormorants eat? Fyfer123 Yesterday at 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by 4CornersPuddle
Fyfer, if your LMB are still very abundant, the cursed cormorants may spend their time catching the bass. Trout may be able to outswim the birds, whereas the bass may not be so speedy.
I can't remember if you live where you can observe the pond throughout the day. If it were me, I'd sit watching the cormorants fish and try to determine what they're catching. Perhaps they'd do you a good service if they'd concentrate on those surplus bass.
If you see them catching trout, fix the problem.

Well, I have observed the Cormorants for a few days, and I have not seen them catch any fish, bass or trout. I am not sure what they are eating. The trout are cruising near the surface waiting for pellets, while the bass are way down out of sight. I have not seen a bass in weeks, as it has been way too cold for them. We have had a very cold spring. I am not sure if the cormorants can dive 14ft or not in order to catch a bass.

Either way, I am trying to deter the birds as much as I can without breaking the law here. I will keep watching to see what they are eating.
5 233 Read More
Re: Winter kill 2021 jludwig Yesterday at 05:10 PM
We have to worry about summer kills though.
27 1,341 Read More
Types of fish to choose Jump to new posts
Re: Outbreeding depression Alan Coleman Yesterday at 04:59 PM
Just called the fish farm and the supplier said his bass wouldn’t be ready before late July. He says they’ll be around 2” by July so I’ll be stocking fingerlings. My pond is creek fed and stays a cooler than a lot of ponds in my area so I guess they won’t get overly stressed. Plus the farm is only 2hrs away so not a long transport.
6 184 Read More
Wildlife Management Jump to new posts
Re: Wood duck camera house DrLuke Yesterday at 03:04 PM
That is the link to my channel. When the stream is live, it's at the top left.

Wood duck box stream channel
81 9,659 Read More
Re: New pond owner, new stock fish dying Drago Yesterday at 02:27 PM
All in the 2-4" range.
10 249 Read More
Re: New pond owner, lots of questions Quarter Acre Yesterday at 01:42 PM
The max flow is what that pump will put out without anything hooked up to it. You are currently running your pump very close to the rated performance...that's a good place to be. Moving the diffusers deeper will cause it to dip below the Rated Performance and add stress to the pump which will likely shorten it's life. How much, who knows. I'd leave them at the 5 foot depths, but you could move them elsewhere in the pond if you'd like, just keep them in 5 foot of water or a bit shallower. I have found that my diffusers can sit 3 foot off the bottom (on home-made stands) in 7 foot of water and still circulate the 10 foot deep water that is 40 to 50 foot away. Your diffusers have a good chance of pulling water up from the deepest part of your pond while sitting in the 5 foot depths. So long as you tested temps at all depths and found that minor temp difference, I'd say your system is turning the water over well. My only concern is that it is early in the year and ground temps and air temps in your area may be equal (on average) and this may be giving you a false sense of security. eg. The ground temps are 55° F and the average air temps are 55° F (or close)...whos to say of the water IS getting turned over and not just staying consistent because of the surrounding earth and air temps ??? The temp testing needs to be periodically performed as summer air temps increase. When you turn off your aeration, you are looking for cooler bottom temps and warmer temps towards the surface. The bigger the difference between bottom to near (~18") top (without air), the more confidence you can put into the temp testing once the air is turned back on. You may find little to no temp difference without aeration this time of the year and have to wait until it warms up a fair amount.

There is always dissolved oxygen testing that you can do, but I have not mastered that at my pond and cannot offer much assistance other than how to get the water samples. Even with aeration at my pond, the DO seems to differ from top to bottom in the water column and does not seem to be as reliable as temp testing. We will have to rely on some other PB members to help determine what DO levels are considered good from top to bottom.

EDIT: And, without Lift-rates for the diffusers, you will have to rely on testing at the pond to know for sure. The diffuser specs sure seem to mimic what I have seen for other 9" Matala's and are close to the Vertex brand that I am familiar with.
7 207 Read More
Creating the food chain Jump to new posts
Re: Yank Out GSF ? Dave Davidson1 Yesterday at 12:43 PM
Good to hear from you Ranger
10 580 Read More
Re: Making hay while the sun shines? anthropic Yesterday at 01:25 AM
Thanks. Tiny guys really seem to hang around it, figured something must be going on.
2 122 Read More
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
Another winter kill
by DrLuke - 05/07/21 08:50 AM
Augie's Another Year Closer to Pond Perfection!
by Quarter Acre - 05/07/21 08:25 AM
Another Havasu Giant RES
by Sunil - 05/07/21 07:01 AM
Optimal Junior feed
by NEDOC - 05/07/21 06:59 AM
New property, old pond. What to do?
by SueSanderson - 05/07/21 04:48 AM
Minnows not feeding in Forage pond?
by Kyscentlok - 05/07/21 12:25 AM
Guessing why Fla & N LMB aren't the same
by anthropic - 05/07/21 12:24 AM
Containing Fish in a Pen