Originally Posted by Oddo
for whatever it is worth: the pond is one acre in central OH; 13 feet deep full pool 60% of surface area [over 10 feet]; aeration system; american pond weed controlled; some limestone pea gravel 200 feet by 8 feet 3/4 feet deep; 3.5 years ago, in the spring [new pond] started with shiners and minnows then bluegill [regular, hybrid, reds]...late spring hybrid white bass [50] ( 5" average); second year added 20 more HSB and specklebelly bluegill (150); last year more specklebelly BG and 20 more stripers...the pond has 60 stacked pallets for spawning shiners and minnows with Xmas trees next to the pallets; there are swarms of small fry; to boost and speed growth feed the BG and of course the stripers gobble up more than their share (like cat fish, no cats in pond, never)...this fall many of the BG weigh in at one pound +/- an ounce or two and many stripers at 20 inches are just an ounce or two shy of 4 pounds although the 23 inch striper was pushing 6 pounds.
Had to set aside my 3wt fly rod for the 5 or 6wt rod and 8lb leader...those stripers were so fast and their run so hard that the leaders busted too often.

after reading your comment about LMB in the same pond, not going to stock any LMB...was going too...having second thoughts...maybe pond is fairly blanced

my original goals were: one pound BG...accomplished this year (dozens this size0; and 5 pound HYB...accomplished this year (at least 5-6, maybe a few more)

new goal: 2 pound BG and 10 pound HYB

the hybrid BG reverted to green sunfish [some 9.5 inches and heavy]
many specklebelly are 9 inches and 12 oz. these are replacing the hybrids
although there are few female specklebellies, they must have spawned successfully as quite a number of small BG look mostly rainbow colors like the large parents; these are just beautiful fish so if you can stock them you will likely be pleased. they are darn costly however. Jones Fish in Ohio has them.

Any of you with experience over longer periods of time that can comment on warnings and cautions for a balanced habitat for BG and Stripers would be much appreciated.

The fly rod with poppers and larvae imitations make for exciting fishing; those large BG put up quite a fight; the stripers want to rip the rod out of your hands.

10# HSB are doable if you already have a feeder for BG in deep water, or have deep water adjacent to the feeder. HSB won't necessarily stay near the feeder, and much like trout, will roam and eat anything that will fit in their mouth. On an electroshocking in our big pond a few years ago, a guesstimated 10# HSB was shocked up near the bank 200 yards away from the dam feeder. I would think your cooler water would mean a longer HSB lifespan then down here. Our summer water temps can be in the mid nineties and 7-8 years is probably our max, but I've got pictures of a verified 12# caught in NE TX ponds. I would stay away from LMB at this point and allow the HSB to be the primary predator, as their smaller gape should allow larger BG to grow unchallenged. My experience is that raising 2# BG is tough, but 1-1.5# isn't. They're a blast on the 3wt you mentioned.

Poppers are fun, and I've good luck with streamers. Flymen Fishing Co. have some nice Fish-Skull streamers, Kelly Galloup's articulated streamers are good, and Lefty's Deceivers will catch most anything. Since you're in central Ohio, Mad River Outfitters always have good fly selections. Brian Flechsig is the owner, and he and his staff are active fly fishermen, and should be knowledgeable about HSB. Yeah, I know I'm giving you advice from TX, but I spent a week with Brian in Montana last year. Solid guy.