Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
The_Wren, robc, JCook1409, James Herndon, usa
18,565 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,065
Posts559,122
Members18,566
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,674
ewest 21,537
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,167
Who's Online Now
8 members (Tinylake, Boondoggle, FishinRod, SherWood, 4CornersPuddle, Knobber, Sunil, Snipe), 677 guests, and 409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
FishinRod
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#563408 01/07/2024 3:20 PM
by WiYeti
WiYeti
So I’ve been in constant contact with American aeraton and a Kasco rep on trying to solve my issue, but I wanted to ask the forum if they had any ideas on why this is happening and if anyone has had this issue before. Btw, both guys that have been helping me on this are absolutely fantastic and super helpful. Probably the best customer service I’ve had on anything I’ve ever bought. Matt from American aeration is actually sending me a new unit to see if thats actually the issue here..

Anyways, my set up.. I have a Kasco Ra2 unit with 2 diffusers. One at 3’ with a full length of provided weighted hose and a diffuser at 8-9’ with about half the length of provided hose. I turned the deep end off for the winter and letting the shallow run solo. I’ll let it run and the unit within 30 mins to an hour maybe even a few hours (it’s very random) starts setting off the pressure relief valve and it’ll start “burping”.

I’ve entirely disconnected the diffuser on the shallow end so no obstruction (besides maybe chance of something being in the line itself)(hopefully not) and I’ve played around with switching the valves, opening and closing the deep end and shallow while the burping was present. While burping with the shallow end open, I would close it and open the deep end. The burping would stop. I’d close deep end and open the shallow and the burping would persist. Which makes me think there is a blockage in the shallow, but why would it run fine for hours, no problem at all? The flow out of the line is pretty intense and doesn’t look light.

I’ve questioned having a bad prv spring and maybe it’s light? Idk. I’m trying to do anything besides unbury my lines. Also from the unit itself to the pond I have both lines insulated to the ground (~3.5’) that run to a pvc pipe that runs about 10’ to fully buried line that spans maybe 6-7’ if that.. before entering the pond. I’ve also been pretty careful with “crushing” the line when I put it in but who knows.

If the line is somehow crushed or if there’s a blockage, is there something I can run down it to possibly free it? Speaking of running stuff down the line.. I’ve poured iso alcohol down the line which would “fix” it for a few hours before it started up again.

Sorry for such a long text
Liked Replies
#563423 Jan 8th a 02:52 AM
by esshup
esshup
^^DrewSH is correct. I'm going to take a SWAG and say that your buried line is 3/8" ID? Correct or incorrect?

If so, and the other line is the same ID I'd bet that there is a rise/dip in the line that is letting condensate collect and most likely freeze in the line.

How long is the run underground to each of the diffusers? When it burps, what is the pressure that is in the system? If you don't know what the pressure is, add a low pressure gauge (0-30 psi)

If the line is freezing you have 2 options.

1) run another line but make it 1" ID. You can neck it up/down where it enters the pond and where it exits the compressor. You could go 1/2", but the cost difference is minimal and it takes the same amount of labor to go with either size. You use black low pressure poly tubing for the run. We've run 1" line over 900 feet to a pond without any freezing issues, and we only ran it 12" deep. I know there are rises and dips in the line but it hasn't been affected in the 5 or 6 years that it's been there. That 1" line replaced a 3/8" line that was constantly giving the pond owner problems in the winter.

2) You buy one of these and install it near the compressor. It automatically injects alcohol in the line when back pressure reaches a certain psi. air line de-icer 1 air-line deicer 2
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
Green sunfish making me rethink my plan, opinions
by FishinRod - 06/08/24 09:58 AM
Betta Fish - Intro to Caring for Fish
by FishinRod - 06/08/24 09:55 AM
New Owner with grass question.
by FishinRod - 06/08/24 09:42 AM
Fry Identification
by Snipe - 06/08/24 09:16 AM
Fry based on dates?
by catscratch - 06/08/24 07:50 AM
What did you do at your pond today?