Originally Posted By: Shorty

Atmospheric pressure is double at a water depth of 33ft compared to what it is at the surface. There is more of a pressure change going from a depth of 4ft to 7ft than you would see from the pressure change of an approaching hurricane.

Anyone else ever take suba diving lessons?

I did once about 15 years ago. I was taking a lesson in a swimming pool while on vacation in St Lucia. I panicked. Not sure why, I'm not claustrophobic - at least I didn't think I was. Anyway, I had a great instructor and 2 days later he had me 50 feet below the surface. Great experience.

Back to your example that atmospheric pressure is double at 33 feet than at the surface. Don't you mean the pressure exerted on a human in 33 feet of water is double that of the air pressure at the surface?

What I was trying to get at with my question is, since liquids don't compress how could a change in air pressure above change the water pressure below. I don't doubt that fish react to high/low pressure but I was looking more for a scientific/physics explanation. Besides, that guide I was on the river with was very cocky about the whole subject. I'd love to prove him wrong.

Last edited by RobA; 10/12/07 01:33 PM.