Originally Posted By: bz
I think it makes sense as someone has mentioned above that a rapid change in barometric pressure would affect fish behaviour. Consider that as the barometer falls rapidly a fish will have to let air rapidly out of it's air bladder to maintain neutral bouyancy and keep himself from floating to the surface. The opposite would occur when pressures repidly increase. Of course fish do this all the time when they change depth but I imagine that a fishes overall internal systems might be somewhat upset by having to adjust it's bouyancy compensation even when they are not changing depth. Of course slow changes will be less noticeable. I think this is likely to explain changes in behaviour. It's just like when you go up in an airplane and your ears become uncomfortable until things equalize. Or have you ever been sitting in your car in a parking lot when the car next to you begins to move and you feel like it's you that is moving? All these kinds of things are somewhat unsettling to living beings because they are abnormal or mentally confusing. That's my theory, unproven but makes sense to me. I believe that if a fish didn't have an air bladder he would not be affected by atmospheric pressure. It would also make sense that a hurricane could kill fish if you consider that atmospheric pressure could drop so fast that their bladders explode. A fish can only change their air bladder so fast. What happens if you catch deep water fish and bring them up rapidly. If you are scuba diver you know what an embolism is.

Also keep in mind some fish have an air duct that connects their air bladder to their esophogus to blow out excess gas that builds up from rapid pressure changes while many do not. Trout salmon and catfish have this opening but bluegills, bass, crappie etc. do not.

Fish that have this opening are called phyostomas.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/12/07 01:00 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.