Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
pondbear, N.C.PondJoe, LloydLusk, Catch N 8 NTex, PondGuppy
18,578 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,084
Posts559,391
Members18,578
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,687
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,187
Who's Online Now
3 members (Catch N 8 NTex, Bobbss, Ron crismon), 794 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
In-Fisherman once reported that lower levels of atmospheric H2O that are often found after passage of a storm front allow significantly higher levels of UV radiation to penetrate the surface of the water. The theory was that the higher UV caused fish to decrease activity.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
bz Offline
Lunker
Lunker
B
Aha, sunburn!

Gotta get back to fishin!
G
Lunker
Lunker
G

RobA, your fishing guide was correct in his statement that barometric pressure causes changes in fish behavior even though his reasoning may be faulty... \:\)

D.I.E.D. you are a successful fisherman with good equipment and you have the knowledge and experience to cope with varying and changing weather conditions.
You are joshing us when you acknowledge that you were fishing under adverse windy conditions, without acknowledging that wind is caused by proximity of low to high barometric weather systems... \:\(

Of course there are many more variables is fishing than barometric changes – that’s why we call it fishin’ and not catchin’...

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
I've been feeding fish in shallow fresh water ponds and lakes for 28 years. Just before the passage of a front, fish feed like crazy. During the passage of a front, they feed well. Once the front passes, forget it for sometimes three or four days. I noticed this beginning 1980, when feeding catfish every day. You could see the front coming, head out on a tractor with a bin full of feed on the back and it seemed like every fish in the pond fed like it was their last meal. The day after the front passed, forget about it. We got to where we didn't even take time to feed the slimy little creatures. I believed that the fish could feel the changes coming, their instincts told them conditions would be tough (the water temperature would drop, weather would be cold)so the fish literally gorged themselves. Then, as it seemed to me, since they all filled their bellies at the same time, they weren't hungry again until that food was digested. In my feeble, young fish farmer mind, the fish didn't eat after the front because they weren't hungry. Then on or about the third day, they returned to "normal" feeding habits where about half or two-thirds of the fish ate at each setting. I don't quite understand the science behind it, other than the fish used their lateral line system to detect a change in pressure which triggered their instincts to take advantage of all offerings.
To me the interesting part is that what I learned started in catfish ponds, with only one species of fish which were totally dependent on fish food for nutrition.
But, as my career expanded, I saw the same traits in multi-species fish populations.
To this day, I watch fish feed voraciously just before the passage of a front.
I believe fish act on instinct and conditioning. They use all their senses to be able to feed. For example, when a school of shad moves, it sends ripples through the water. A bass or striper detects the movement. At first, since the school of shad moves in unison, unless the predator sees the school, it interprets it as one big fish. That's the lateral line at work. But, with conditioning, when a predator investigates, their eyes tell them that single big fish is actually the motherlode...bazillions of morsel-sized shad awaiting their roles as a snack.
Ah, but the eyes can also be deceiving. See that black dot behind the gill plate of a shad? Bass and stripers aim for the eyes and tries to swallow its prey head first. When the predator attacks the school, all kinds of dynamics are taking place and it happens fast.
The predator counts on its lateral line to find the school, its conditioning to investigate, its eyes to see individual fish. When the predator attacks, the school "flushes," immediately changing its olympic-style synchronized swimming movements to a "run for your life" attitude. When the school flushes, other predators sense it with their lateral lines and race to the scene of the activity. A feeding frenzy ensues.
The moral of this story?
Fish don't have the ability to think or reason. They are totally dependent on using their senses and instincts which are influenced by conditioning. So, methinks, while simply assuming the pressure changes trigger a feeding response may make sense, I think the bigger picture is that ALL their senses kick in to form the response to barometric pressure changes, visibility, temperature, turbidity...all that stuff.
Heck, here you guys are, talking about it and no one really knows the "truth." That's one of those cool little things that make this "fish" thing so dang much fun.
I do this for a living and I can't confidently answer the question.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I was watching PBS a month or two ago. There's a newer version of NOVA but I don't remember the name, it's NOVA _______something. It is a little bit more watered down, but still gives a ton of information.

There was one segment on how different types of creatures that school react to different things, yet there is no specific "leader" of the school.

I wasn't paying enough attention, but I think they called this thing "Emergence."

Did anyone see that?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
I've been feeding fish in shallow fresh water ponds and lakes for 28 years. Just before the passage of a front, fish feed like crazy. During the passage of a front, they feed well.

That goes along with my thinking. I think an advancing storm stimulates fish to gorge in preparation for muddy water and scant food that results from it. Catfish may gorge in preparation for a spawn, which I guess a big rain could stimulate.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
DClayton, Nicebass
Recent Posts
Windmill System Suggestions
by Catch N 8 NTex - 06/16/24 09:56 PM
Alum worked for 3 days now getting cloudy again!
by esshup - 06/16/24 07:34 PM
New YP/SMB Pond in MI - Plan
by Bill Cody - 06/16/24 02:52 PM
Trapping the Crays
by Snipe - 06/16/24 12:01 PM
Where to start?
by Alligatorob - 06/16/24 10:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Dave Davidson1 - 06/16/24 06:47 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Mainer - 06/15/24 08:04 PM
Algae