Derek:

I assume there is no evidence of RES or YP spawning this year. I think that both species ARE quite likely to spawn for you next year.

After kicking things around with Bill Cody, my current plans for stocking my 1/2 acre SMB/YP/RES pond next year are for small forage species (FHM + ???) and 20 adult RES to go in early Spring 2008 (and to have the RES spawn!), more adult/juvenile/fingerling RES (all I can glean from my main pond; I might get another 30-50 RES) during the course of 2008, then for 300 YP and 60-75 SMB (both smaller fingerlings) to go in Fall 2008.

Trying to translate over to your 1.5 acre pond (and stepping up to adult YP), 125-150 SMB sounds good. What size SMB is available to you in the imminent future? Figuring you are getting more of what will be adult, spawning YP and RES next Spring, I would want another 100 YP and 100-150 RES.

If Cody posts and contradicts me in any way, do what he says.

P.S. If you stock small (2"-4") SMB in with the larger YP, I am VERY interested in how the bass survive in the face of the potential threat of YP predation. It would help settle a question Cody has posed to me on what size YP I want to stock next Fall.

Last edited by Theo Gallus; 10/03/07 10:39 AM.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]