I was always told no crappie, I then went to an old guy who runs a fishery told him I wanted bass and they were my major goal. This guy is like 80 something has been doing it for years. He asked me if I wanted crappie I said absolutely not He grinned and said you have been doing a lot of reading on this haven't you. I said yea he told me that most are full of it and he always has people stock crappie with bass. I told him I didnt agree and he went on to basically tell me I was crazy and shouldnt believe everything I read he has been doing this for 60 + years and I should do whatever I wanted but he would give them to me free If I wantd to try them so I did.Its a small pond I will have to see if he was right or every article and thing I have ever heared? I went with experience hopefully it will pay off. Though I dont fish for crappie as a rule maybe they will be good fried up. Oh P.S. I aslo had to buy a 4.00 bullfrog because my kid wanted it. Still croakes every night, till the cold hit.