Brettski, the first thing to remember that there is no such thing as "wildlife". This perhaps the biggest mistake wildlife managers make. There are only different species and ecosystems. When we manage an area for "wildlife", it really is just for different species and ecosystems.

Most wildlife managers will tell you that you need "edge" or areas where two types of cover meet. The whole county is "edge"! "Edge" species are the winners in our society. The great loosers are the species that need solid areas of habitat such as mature forest or grasslands.

All that being said, most of us want the types of species that come with edge.

I would get the book "Wetland Plants and Plant Communities of Minnesota and Wisconsin by the US Army Corps of Engineers. It should apply to your area.

There are professional societies devoted to wetland restoration. Here are some ideas from them.

"Weeds" or undesireable plants are your biggest problem. One of the very worst is reed canary grass. I would kill it any place you see it. You will probably have to keep at it for many years. I've been killing it for 5 years now on our 50 acres of CRP and still find clumps of it all the time.

Next, the most agressive plants will colonize your area the fastest. It's sort of the firstest with the mostest win. So you want to plant the species you want so that they are established and hard to push out by more agressive species. One thing to remember is that a species that might be horrible in one area might be great in your area.

Wetlands are first known by their plants.

Now to animals. We have 20 wood duck houses up. One thing to remember is they don't have to be by water. Wood ducks often nest 1/2 mile from water. Bats are a free insect control.
Marvin Maberry is a retired Oklahoma highway patrolman and makes the best bat houses by far.
maberrybat.com Bluebirds and purple martins are other common choices.

In our 4-acre lake, we have 7 islands. The advantage of islands is that they keep out cats, possums, skunks, dogs, foxes etc. Raccoons and mink can still hunt them but at least the number of predators is decreased dramatically.

We have 5 wetlands ranging from 1/2 acre to 5 acres, all with their own personalities. In them, we have everything from snipe to wood ducks and one restored sedge meadow. It's all great fun to watch and work with.

These are some general ideas. If you'd like more specific information, I'd be glad to try and help.

Norm Kopecky