More info:

"While actively feeding, the larvae secrete a chemical, more precisely an infochemical, that permits them to communicate with other species of flies. This infochemical or synomone allows them to tell other flies to stay away, that it makes little sense to lay their eggs within an area full of actively feeding BSF larvae. This interspecies communication is indeed very effective. In the vicinity of the disposal unit, we note the near absence of houseflies and all other flies that are a pest to humans. If only we could isolate this natural fly repellant produced by the BSF larvae! After about two weeks of feeding, the BSF larvae reach maturity. They turn from white to black, their mouth parts transform into a digger, they empty their guts of waste, they secrete an antibiotic to protect themselves from bacteria, and they set out in search of an ideal pupation site. "

"As long as the ramp has an angle of less than 45 degrees, the BSF larvae have no problem exiting the waste. Such a steep angle makes it difficult for the larvae to drag or carry along any adhering residue, and it also serves as a barrier for the larvae of most other species of fly. Housefly larvae, for example, are not even able to climb a ramp of a 30-degree angle. If housefly larvae cannot get out of the disposal area, they cannot pupate, and if they cannot pupate, they cannot become adults and reproduce. The BSF waste disposal unit mounted with steep ramps serves as a very effective sink or trap for the larvae of just about every species of flies that ignores the chemical warning to stay away from the unit. Once trapped within the unit, the uninvited larvae and pupae eventually become one more food item for the hungry BSF larvae."

"The BSF larvae will easily crawl over 100 meters (320 ft. +) in search of an ideal pupation site."

SOURCE

A few thoughts:

For anyone with dogs, a BSF "composting" unit may provide a simple way to dispose of their poop. If you already pick up the dogs waste then there would be no extra effort involved and you get the benefit of converting this waste into fish food.

In addition to normal household scraps BSF also eat carrion, but I don't believe they begin immediately with freshly dead animals. I'm curious if freshly dead fish might be an exception. The bottom line would be whether or not the larvae would consume the fish before a strong odor developed. If they would, then the BSF unit would be a great way to dispose of culled fish. This way you could recycle the forage that went into producing the culls. Raccoons are wonderful, but given the choice I'd rather put that protein back into the pond. When I get a healthy batch of larvae established I'll see what they do with a fresh fish.

Since the larvae will crawl long distances (300 ft) when seeking a place to pupate, a BSF unit could possibly be placed far from a pond, but still automatically (passively) deposit the larvae directly into the water. I'm thinking that pvc pipe could be attached to the unit where the larvae exit and then run to the pond. I would try installing a valve in the pipe to divert larvae into a bucket for use as bait when needed.

I haven't been able to find any info about how long the larvae will survive in water. What I did find was one test where they survived for two hours submerged in rubbing alcohol. I assume that they will do fine for long periods in water, but I will test it myself after my batch matures.

Last edited by GW; 04/21/13 05:38 PM. Reason: update link