bobad, in my reading I found several references to Black Soldier Fly larvae controlling the population of other flies as well as harmful bacteria and fungi.

"The black soldier fly (BSF) is a southern native, non-pest fly that unlike the house fly, is not attracted to human habitation or foods (Furman et al. 1959). BSF reduce manure accumulations 42-56% and give 94-100% house fly control through larval competition and by repelling ovipositing house flies (Bradley and Sheppard 1984). Elimination of lesser mealworm has been noted, but not well documented. The digested residue is a friable compost-like material with about 24% less nitrogen (net loss of 60%). BSF is being investigated as a possible feedstuff for swine, poultry, and several species of fish (Sheppard and Newton 2000)."

SOURCE

Yolk Sac, the lack of odor from these systems is mentioned frequently in the articles I've read. I believe this is due to the maggots controling bacteria, the rapid consumption of scraps, and from dehydration of the waste.

"Black soldier fly (BSF) larvae have large and powerful mouth parts enabling them to shred and devour waste as soon as it is made available to them. Complex organic compounds that are digested by these larvae long before they have had a chance to decompose thermophilically or anaerobically, thereby conserving energy within the waste and immediately eliminating smell. BSF larvae have very efficient digestive systems, and the residue they leave behind represents but a fraction of the original weight and volume of the waste. Food waste (in the United States) typically reduces by as much as 90% in weight and volume, along with a 15% to 30% yield of live larvae of a 44% dry matter content."

SOURCE

Also from the source above:

"The larval dry matter consists of approximately 42% protein and 34% fat. The larvae can be fed right back to the animals or birds that generated the waste, and they are particularly attractive to many types of aquaculture that demand or prefer living food, such as bullfrogs, bass and crappie."

"Nothing could be simpler or easier to manage. In tropical climates, virtually no entomological expertise is required beyond the initial seeding of the disposal unit. Wild populations of BSF females continually furnish eggs to sustain the process. Since the adult black soldier flies do not possess mouth parts and do not feed upon the waste, they are not associated in any way with the transmission of disease. Only egg-laying females visit the disposal unit, and if provided with suitable oviposition sites above the waste, they do not even come into contact with the waste."

A lot of current literature on the use of BSF for waste management and as a food source refer to a study done in Tifton, Ga. by Craig Sheppard.

STUDY

Thanks for the responses gents.

Last edited by GW; 04/21/13 05:36 PM.