We have had, for the first time in many years, plentiful rains at my house in the D/FW metroplex and at my land 70 miles NNW. I appreciate the unusual weather patterns. For many years I've envied, maybe coveted, the rains that George has gotten NE of the metroplex. This years I'm getting them and he isn't. I'm now watching his area along with my own. BTW, Lusk told me Thursday that he had gotten 4 inches in the last couple of days.

Each rain at the house here is like a $20 bill since I don't have to water the lawn. We have a bumper crop of mosquitos and are being warned of increased threats of West Nile Virus. Lots of standing water.

In the country, I am maintaining almost full ponds for the first time in many years. The ponds are extremely turbid due to washed in silt and sand plus rotting vegetation from the covered grasses and weeds. Fish reproduction and recruitment are almost nil but this will change. Lots of washed out roads on the place but 4 wheelers get around OK. I wouldn't consider trying to take my pickup through the place. Cattle prices have doubled and hay prices have dropped since the middle of last summer. I now wish I hadn't gotten rid of the cows.

Bottom line? I'll take the rains. When they end, the drought begins. It always does. When it comes to rain, my glass is always half empty.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP