OK, here is the final product:

One HD 5 gal bucket, one 60# bag concrete mix, 4" x 5' length of non-perf drain pipe, 7-8 pc of DWV qual. 1/2" x 10' PVC pipe (cut in half at 5' sections). The holes in the 4" drain pipe are from a .875" spade bit in a power drill with vertical sliding stabilizer unit (for drilling thru the drain pipe at a 90 degree perpendicular angle). The hole locations are by eye...c'mon, like somebody is really gonna double check the accuracy of my work :rolleyes: . The pipes slide in nice and snug, but I will buzz 3/4" stainless screws into ea limb and ea side of the 4" drain pipe to permanently centralize them. Total cost per tree = $18
Now, my big question...
I will have 12 of these. I truly hope and plan to add 12 more. How would one arrange these things? At what depth(s)? A row of 6 would make a great reef x 30' long. The area of the pond where I will be working will have depth options up to 12 ft. One side of the pond in this area (about 3 ac) will be a fairly steep bank and the other will be rather gentle, running up to and adjoining a shallow wetland zone.