Ward,

I've stocked and studied Tilapia for over 5 years now in my ponds. Results which I have consistently seen are:

1) excellent algae control in ponds without artificial feeding with Tilapia stocking rates of 5 to 10 pounds per acre.

2) poor to fair algae control in ponds artificially fed and initital stocking rates of 5 to 10 pounds per acre

3) excellent algae control in ponds artificially fed and with Tilapia stocking rates of 10 to 15 pounds per acre

4) increased BG size and numbers, without exception, in every pond, every year

5) Consistently improved RW on LMB

6) Improved pond water appearance

This year I'M "growing my own" with an indoor recirculating system and will stock Tilapia that are much larger (generally about 3/4 pound) than previously stocked in my ponds. In addition to being larger and less subject to initial predation, the Tilapia will be very fresh when stocked without the stresses of transporting the fish several hours. I expect to see even larger numbers of Tilapia offspring as a result with all the benefits mentioned above.

Tilapia or CNBG for forage? My approach is to do both and I have found they are very complementary. We routinely catch 10 inch CNBG and have seen fish at about 13 inches.

Some say Tilapia shouldn't be stocked in LMB ponds because they will make your LMB too large for the ponds....that was the very resaon I got started with Tilapia several years ago (wanting to see those LMB that are too large for the pond), and haven't regretted for one minute the decision to stock them, study them, and enjoy their benefits.