I love threads like this one. When someone calls my office to talk about invasive plants the question typically starts off like this, "When do plants become a problem?" My answer is usually, "When you think they are." Here's the way I see cattails. Nature uses cattails to hold loose soils in place, as these soils move into the water. I don't see cattails as ideal fish cover. There are other, less invasive plants and artificial things you can use for fish cover. I, too, have seen cattails growing in water much deeper than 6 feet, and those cattails rise above the water more than 8 feet. Yes, there are other species, even some dwarf cattails on the market, that people can choose to use to accomplish specific objectives. One important point on this thread, the fishery wasn't great in that original pond because of the cattails. The cattails happened to be involved in the pond, not necessarily a key ingredient to the great fish population. What I mean is this; a pond can develop a great fishery without cattails. Personally, I don't mind a few cattails, but keep them only where you want them.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...