After reading recent forum reports regarding HSB mortality during hot summer months, I was reluctant to respond, having previously observed 5 pound class HSB that had survived the record breaking summer heat wave, with low water due to extreme drought conditions.

If I recall correctly, comments were made suggesting the lifespan possibility of HSB in small Texas ponds at being in the 3 pound class, dieing at or before 5 pounds, and survival to 8 pounds unlikely if not impossible.

I refrained from replying to these negative comments, even though I had observed 5 pounds class HSB on several occasions, but not being to document their existence.
Fish reports without documentation are just another fish story – sometimes fun but not reliable.

Below is photograph of a HSB I caught yesterday on a 5-wt fly rod, that bogad 5 pounds even (spring scale). I “unbuttoned” another same class fish this morning, and have been broken off more than once.

These HSB are believed to 2003 class, that had a high mortality rate due to LMB predation, perhaps a higher survival rate that I had estimated.

I am extremely pleased that these fish are in such excellent condition after two years of low hot water and historical drought periods.

I expect to see the “unlikely” 7 and 8 pound HSB about his time next year.

Never before in my lifetime have I received the excitement and appreciation of catching these “homegrown” Hybrid Stripers.

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=003579;p=1