Great link Russ. Thanks Ahvatsa for asking the questions as it encouraged me to learn more about FH. There is more to learn about them and I will start a thread tonight called " Towards Understanding Fatheads" with some info on them and maybe some surprises.

Here is what I found about FH spawning structure from the articles. The PB link by Russ was on the money. That is what you get (and expect) when Bill , Bob , Dave W , DD and the other posters on that thread are involved.

Here are the results from the articles relative to artificial spawning structure for FH , in no order of preference :

1. Small boards tied/stapled to ropes/wires submerged in shallow water near shore. The boards after a while sink and are held suspended underwater by the rope. This is the most mentioned method for use in FH aquaculture as most of the articles are about that and not regular ponds.

2. Pallets submerged in shallow water near shore. This and 6 below offer the most protection to spawning FH as they are not as subject to attack from below while inside the pallet/pvc.

3. Boards stuck in the pond bank near shore part submerged part floating at 60 to 90 degree angle to the pond bank.

4. Old style wood soda cases in shallow near shore water as per Bob"s post. I am sure this method would be mentioned much more if the soda cases were not so hard to find.

5. Fish spawning fabric submerged often attached between sticks/stakes but not on bottom in shallow near shore waters.

6. Various pvc structures from trees to just stuck in the bank to platforms/condos some with fabric attached.

7. FH trees -- poles with dowels and small board attached at all depths, angles and directions about 4 ft. tall and placed upright in shallow less than 4ft of water near shore.

The articles also mention natural structures like limbs, rocks, weeds (most mentioned and stressed), and brush. Here is the link to the FH trees :

http://www.ithaca.edu/faculty/sallen/Fathead/FHMwebsite.html

http://aquanic.org/publicat/state/ga/baitfish.htm