Well, it's been 1 month since I started this aquarium project and I thought it would be appropriate to post an update. Of the 5 CC, 7LMB, and 15RES, I have lost all five CC, 1RES, and 1LMB. The CC all died within 4 days of each other in week 3. They developed a condition that looked like the outer layer of skin was sloughing off in small sheets. I have a feeling it was due to stress. They seemed very disturbed by the visibility and light. During daylight and when the aquarium lights were on they did all they could to stay hidden under rock shelves or behind plants in the corner. They only came out to swim freely when the room was dark and quiet. They were eating some, but very hesitantly. They may not have been getting enough food. For whatever reason they all went belly up.

The 1 RES that died was a medium sized one. It developed a sore on its left eye that reddened to the point that the other fish started attacking it. As soon as it started acting (swimming differently) the others would not let it alone. It didn't last long after that. This also occurred in week 3.

The 1 LMB that died was one of the smaller, less aggressive ones that also had a malformed lower jaw. It looked like a reddened projection from the tip end of the lower jaw. I did see it eat some but I feel it may have not gotten enough food.

The rest are doing fine (I haven't culled any. I know I should, but I haven't so far). They are primarily eating commercial tropical food pellets (50% protein). The bass were very aggressively feeding on chopped redworms, chopped meal worms, and you should see them go after the feeder sized guppies I have put in twice now. But they will readily take the pellets now which is much easier for me.

There is definately a difference between individuals in the LMB and RES. 3 of the remaining 6 LMB are almost twice as big as the other 3. These larger fish are very aggressive feeders taking food at the surface as soon as it hits the water. The others tend to stay mid depth and wait until pieces float down a bit. They will eat, literally until they can not hold any more in their mouths. Their bellies will be swollen and they will be swimming with food crammed into their gaping mouths.

The RES are about the same with 4 being very much larger and more aggressive. In fact the largest 3 are probably 2.5X the smallest ones. They are not as accepting of the pellets as the LMB, but they are coming around. They certainly seem to prefer the chopped redworms or guppies. The snails I bought from the aquarium shop were gone within a week.

I have reduced feeding to once every five days which has helped in the acceptance of pellets, I believe, and I am sure it is less taxing on the water quality.

There are now 1 male and 2 female FHM in the tank. They were in the smaller tropical tank across the room. I kinda doubt they will breed but who knows, they might. The male is very shy and stays in the caves most of the time only to come out when food is presented. The females stay with the RES school. It is interesting that the FHM (females especially) are the most aggressive feeders in the tank. That could be because they are acclimated to aquarium life (almost 2 yrs now).

I will keep you posted as time goes on.