Bruce Condello – It is good water, indeed! The fishery is diverse due to the pond being connected to the Rock River during the summer months for the 10 years it took to complete the pond.

Known Fish Species:

Large Mouth Bass
Bluegill
Bullhead
Northern Pike
Small Mouth Bass
Yellow Perch
Carp
Fathead Minnow
Topeka Shiner

The only fish that have been stocked are Fathead Minnows and a few Bluegills.

I continue to debate with myself whether stocking game fish is really necessary given the diverse fishery. At one point I considered taking out the whole fishery and starting over (I gave up on that for various reasons, including cost). I am currently thinking that the fishery may take care of itself with some supplemental stocking to keep things in balance. But then…………

The Largemouth Bass, Bluegill, Bullhead, Yellow Perch and Fatheads are all reproducing as evidenced by seining that I do periodically. I have yet to see a current year Northern Pike, Small Mouth Bass, Carp, or Topeka Shiner. Either these fish are not reproducing, or their reproduction is being taken care of by predation. Perhaps seining isn’t effective on these species?

My ultimate goal is Pond Nirvana, where ever that may take me. A pond is a huge living organism and being its caretaker is a big responsibility. It is all great fun and an unending learning process!
\:\) \:\)

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather