Thanks guys. As you know, ponds become a passion and for those of you like me, learn by tial and error. Even though the trout did not make it I am enjoying the pond and have resigned myself to raising nice bass and BG. They are doing well. I dug the pond in '01 with a John Deere 650. Everyone said I was a fool for not hiring a pro. I was even a bigger fool when I discovered nothing but sand and gravel - no clay! For over 2 years I had a big hole with water in the bottom (where I hit the water table). I had 74 truckloads of clay brought in over the next year. Once I had enough clay I got another dozer and spread the clay. I didn't use a sheeps foot roller or anything like that, just the dozer. Once the clay was spread I brought in several truckloads of sand and some rock for my spillway (where my well water could splash over the rocks to keep my pond full and cool). Rather than wait for enough runoff I ran a gas pump and pulled from the creek that borders my property. I felt that this was better than letting the clay dry out and crack, which would make it next to impossible to hold water. I am happy to say that the pond has done very well. I makes a nice swimming pond and we have plenty of frogs, BG, Bass, and some paited turtles. The sand beach and bottom are especially nice for swimming. I put in a 2" sand point well to provide an adequate source of cold water. I used to run it over the rock, but was told by the guy I got my trout from that I would be better off filling from the bottom of the pond. It is ironic that I didnt start filling from the bottom until late spring. I put Aquashade in to help keep the temp down, which did help. Needless to say, I have learned much from this process, but overall, I am pleased with how the pond looks and have had many comments about how natural it looks. I have included some pictures. I know I enjoy seeing pictures of some of the projects from our fellow members, so I hope you don't mind if I include a few pictures. This one is looking North at the pond:
Here is one taken at sunset:
This one shows the cabin and the shallow end of the pond with the sandy beach
This is "Scarecrow Stanley". He helps keeps the herrons away.

I have posted some more up to the web at: Pond Pictures

Dream it, Believe it, Achieve it!