Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
pondbear, N.C.PondJoe, LloydLusk, Catch N 8 NTex, PondGuppy
18,578 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,084
Posts559,389
Members18,578
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,687
ewest 21,541
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,187
Who's Online Now
5 members (N.C.PondJoe, Bill Cody, Angler8689, Tinylake, esshup), 941 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Mr. Cowboy, like your name a lot if I hadnt said that before...i'd be real surprised if your trash pump works for long draws unless you have, or nearly have, artesian water. its more likely your trash pump will drawdown the water faster that it can recharge, and you'll run your pump dry. it wont lift more than 25 feet. the best thing to do (and i know its always about money) is to get yerself a submersible designed for the gpms and head of your new wells...the submersible usu. goes near bottom of well. every pump has a pumping curve, so its good to get one that can run and adjust to just under recharge capability of your wells, and you never go dry.

if you dont have elec. at well, some other PM here (sorry i forget his name) was looking at air devices to lift his well water....if i can find the thread, i'll provide a link over here.

your water well drilling prices are pretty good, comparable w/ only the lowest rates out here. you'll have to stretch the truth a tiny.....but tell your wife its a deal, cause if you lived in CA it would cost twice as much \:D

GSF are people too!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Salty, it seems to me that your water would come from the ground level. I think I would go ahead and put in a submersible pump and a pressure tank. They aren't that much more expensive.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Running electric is not an option. The well is an agriculture well which in lower DE is about half of the cost of a residential well .I spoke to a farmer friend and he suggest running a small trash pump with a restricted flow to help hold head pressure. I am not trying to raise my pond levels just maintain what we have left.There has got to be a way to pump water from a well with a gas pump,if not im screwed!PS thanks for the replys....and the name saltwatercowboy comes from a life time on the water(commercial fisherman and merchant marine)and from working the ponies in Chincoteague VA at the swim each season.

shoot'em in the lipps
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Surprises me for DE, i figured those types of regulations were for CA.....farmers need to pump their water too....should be able to justify a downhole pump on an Agwell?

You might consider air an option, you could run a gas/diesel powered compressor if the trash pump doesnt work. "they" whoever they are, make air pump devices, several different ones on market...i'll try to be a bit more helpful at some point.

i grew up (first 16 years anyway) in MD, and visited Chincoteague, Assateague, Assawoman, spent some time over at Bethany and Rehobeth beaches....before it was crowded (late 60's early 70's)......beautiful area if not now spoiled by too many people. Used to love eating at Phillips crabhouse, don't know if that's even around anymore.

GSF are people too!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Im not real sure I follow you DAVE(what regs)the electric pump isnt an option as I do not have the extra 1200.00 bucks to run electric to the well.

shoot'em in the lipps
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by salth2ocowboy:
Running electric is not an option. The well is an agriculture well.........
Sorry salt, i took the above quote to mean DE wouldnt let you put a downhole elec. pump in a Agwell.

GSF are people too!

S
S
If electric is not an option, perhaps solar or windmill?

A trash pump will not lift the water any more than about 25 feet. It will depend on the depth to your water table in the well, plus drawdown from pumping.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
 Quote:
Originally posted by salth2ocowboy:
Running electric is not an option. .........There has got to be a way to pump water from a well with a gas pump,........
Salt,
Here is the link I was remembering....

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=003012

dont know if you're interested in air or not, but its a start. I didnt think the above device would work well, but I dont know a lot, its just something to research.

In my business we sample remote wells w/ gas or diesel engine compressors, or gas or diesel generators to power elec. compressors, and downhole pumps......There are lots of companies out there that have pneumatic and bladder type downhole pumps that run on compressed air and can pump from virtually any depth, the problem w/ many of these devices, w/out spending and arm and leg, is the limited volume you can pump. moving a lot of water aint cheap.

ok....does this seem like threadjacking Mr. McButterpants?....for my part its all in the spirit of trying to keep our babies full. BTW, Mr. McB.....even w/ low H2O, your pond still looks like a great slice of heaven.

GSF are people too!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Thanks for the thread Dave I appreciate your time and advice.I will have to do some more research and or just bite the bullet and install electric first(new air pump is here need to run 600 ft of air line)that will run both the air and the well.The well and the electric cost about the same.If I can just get through this summer with out a fish kill I should be good to go by next year.*****salth2ocowboy installs well,air and electric no drought for 50 years story at 11pm..ps MCbutterpants you have a nice pond strong back,and a cool thread sorry to have hijacked it.

shoot'em in the lipps
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
Yup every night out there working like a mad man. My wife says I am nuts and at this point I would have to agree. I have added about 4 to 5 ft shelf all around the pond and been using the clay that I run into lower in the pond to take care of the work that the contractor didn't do He scraped off the top soil on most of the pond are but he didn't shoot a level on the pond. Which I found out way too late ( he was only on the pond for 3 days and I was working ) Thus 2 sides of the pond have about 2 ft of top soil as the top 2 ft of the pond edge. Thus I drop 2 ft s soon as my seasonal creek stops flowing.

Well that is in the middle of changing now. I have used the soil and clay from the pond to raise the 2 sides of the pond by about 3 ft. I am using the thick red/gray clay to put on top of the banks to seal it up. I am taking out the stuff that has run in via the seasonal creek and using that to repair the damn holes created by the crayfish ...etc

All that and trying to work a real job, run a fruit farm and raise two boys and I think I still have a wife lol
I had to give you a 5 star rating just for this lil bit of info you sir are "THE MAN"

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
NO WORRIES
I enjoy posting a thread that intrests you guys,I dont know alot about land,water and managment yet (being a land/pond owner for less than a year). I was smart enough to get on this website BEFORE buying my lil slice. And I thank the good lord above that I am a subscriber and forum member. The guys on here have been nothing but funny,informative, helpful, and downright "good people". Look at me I am hijacking my own post tooo LOL
BTW thank you Salt and dave. She is my lil slice of heaven. And like most of you guys I wish heaven was a lil bit closer and wetter \:\) .

Fatty McB

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Fatty Thanks but not the man more like the man with a weak mind and a broken back with too much me time on my hands lol \:D \:D \:D

---------------------------------
1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
The link above to the post about pumping water with air was mine. I contacted the manufature that was luckily just down the road. They are comming out to my place this week to conduct a test to see how ther pump will work in my situation. Probably around 2000 2500 gpd according to what comes out on paper. Will update my thread after the test.

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
my apologies for not remembereing your name earlier sciotoguy......there are not many cons to living as far out as i do, but i definitely feel paralyzed w/ my slow dial-up connection, takes a lot of time to go back and find things (in the PB forum), so i usu. just try to remember as best i can....which isnt really that good. suppose to have digital feed cable available here w/in next year or so, that will help but also be $$.

Looking forward to your updates,

D.I.E.D.

GSF are people too!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
D.I.E.D.,

Have you looked into Satellite Dish for your Internet service? I don't have cable available either so that was my answer.

Dan

Mistakes are proof that you are trying.

Dan
D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Hi Dan. I had a guy come out from DISH network (or sum such co.) and the large ponderosa pines behind our house block southern exposure to the point there's no signal...he said if we put a 80 foot mast on our house we MIGHT get a signal....i actually thought that'd look cool, but didnt fly w/ wife. our topography didnt lend itself to a remote pole either, so we wait. the only upside is $9.95/mo for the dial up.....we are too far out for DSL, and cell coverage is real sketchy here. cable TV is in, but the digital (upper) bandwidth hasnt been added yet. thanks for asking.

GSF are people too!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
DIED, do you get cell phone reception at your place?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

D
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
D
Hi Sunil, cell phone reception is sketchy, lots of dead zones in my area. i did inquire about it, and was informed by our local nextel guys that the data transmission speed is not that much greater than dial-up, so i havent pursued that one.

GSF are people too!

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Hey just an update on my earth moving here. I was stopped short in my tracks today. I have been building up the sides to level the pond because of the lack of rain and low waters. But as fate would have it, before i was able to finish the sides and add the structure, mother nature dumped over 3 inches on my little house today which gave me over 3 + ft of additional level in the pond. Thus the pond is full, the new sides seem to be holding but I need to work on a few spots to shore them up and its flowing in and out of the pond at a rate of over 2500 gpm. Ahhh well the best made plans!!!

---------------------------------
1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Dave,
I'm pulling on the same dial-up oars witcha. No high speed avail yet. $10/month is pretty easy to swallow, tho.
That internet sat. dish stuff is scary 'spensive. If I wasn't building a pond, I could probably afford it.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I was looking into Direct TV sat HS internet, like Dan has, but discovered I could get DSL even in our remote location. We are about as remote as one can get these days and I was surprised to learn that DSL was available. It sure is a nice service and relatively affordable.

Like DIED, cell phone service is very hit and miss along our county road...but DSL is great stuff.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Our DSL worked intermittently for over a year until we and the phone company figured out that the fence charger sometimes messes with the hi freq signal. At night or on a cloudy day DSL will probably work, but to have a chance when it's hot and sunny we have to unplug the fence charger. Weird how the temp changes the line impedance enough to affect whether or not the fence interferes (at least I think that's what's happening).

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
(in your best Eb voice)....
Gee Mr. Gallus, should I shimmee up the telephone pole and wiggle the wire?

These hots-cakes are deee-licious, Mrs. Gallus. I still cain't believe you caught Mr. Gallus stuffin' 'em in his coveralls, takin' 'em to the pond, and feedin' the catfish!

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Greeeen Acres that's the place to be...farm livin' that's the life for me... funny shots Brettski. \:\)

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I may have told you this Brettski, but we did used to have our only telephone out on the pole. ;\)

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
DClayton, Nicebass
Recent Posts
Windmill System Suggestions
by Bill Cody - 06/16/24 08:42 PM
Alum worked for 3 days now getting cloudy again!
by esshup - 06/16/24 07:34 PM
New YP/SMB Pond in MI - Plan
by Bill Cody - 06/16/24 02:52 PM
Trapping the Crays
by Snipe - 06/16/24 12:01 PM
Where to start?
by Alligatorob - 06/16/24 10:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Dave Davidson1 - 06/16/24 06:47 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Mainer - 06/15/24 08:04 PM
Algae