Well, it has finally happened. After years of knowing wild hogs were thriving 20 miles away, they have moved onto my land.

About a month ago I found shoreline wallows on two ponds. Okay, how much damage could an occasional pig cause? No big deal. That's changed.

I have one small pond that I recently sealed with bentonite/red clay and it is or was really pretty. I was going to stock next weekend with BG and use it for forage production. It is only about 30 x 40 ft and about 4 to 5 ft. deep. I drove by it Saturday and it has been turned into a hog wallow. Evidently a sow and her brood has moved in. They have made a real mess of the pond and surrounding area. Surrounding vegetation is destroyed and the pond is a muddy mess.

I find about 20 trees with mud on the trunks where they have scratched. That tells me they have visited more than once and have found a home. Actually, they have found lots of homes. I visited all water holes (8) and found wallows and rooted areas in mud. Surprisingly enough, I found none along the creek.

Just venting here. I know there's nothing I can really do about it.

Hey Gator, can I borrow Pete?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP