The following is added to this thread for archive purposes.

Bill here is some info from observation from the aquarium I once kept (may do it again). I will keep an eye out for photo evidence and in time can produce a pic from my fish.

There seems to be 2 types/variations of CNBG. One One from its original range (Fla area) and one from Ark. where many hatcheries grow lots of CNBG. The Fla. type are more colorful (lighter with more white/light pencil fin and tail margins and some orange pic 1 below) and the Ark. type (darker, more orange ,less light fin edges and less color ranges pic 2 & 3 below). The Fla types I have watched (most but not all) in the aquarium from 2 in up have had white/light fin edges.

This is from Todd. While not as bright as many you can see the light edge on the tail.

Now here's a 2.5" coppernose with yellow color on tail and pectoral fins. Hope you can see it well. I never noticed those light fin and tail edges until just now. Bing...I see it.

See also http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=003546;p=1

Secondary evidence the following are written by fisheries scientists one Tex one Miss. and they note the traits ,then provide that the copper bar is only in adult males. I would assume based on their training if all the other traits mentioned were in adults only they would have so stated.

The Coppernose bluegill is known for its colorful markings. The fins of the coppernose have a reddish orange fringe outline with a pencil thin white border. The vertical bars on the sides are more distinct and broader especially in the young. The distinct copper band across the head which is brilliant on the male is the reason for the common name "coppernose".

THE COPPERNOSE BLUEGILL (CNBG) IS ALSO A FLORIDA STRAIN. IT IS EASILY DISTINGUISHED FROM THE NORTHERN BLUEGILL BY ITS COLORATION AND MARKINGS. THE FINS OF THE CNBG ARE REDDISH-ORANGE WITH A THIN WHITE MARGIN. THE TYPICAL VERTICAL BAR PATTERN OF THE BLUEGILL IS PRONOUNCED IN THE COPPERNOSE, AND VERY DISTINCTIVE. ADULT MALES HAVE A BROAD COPPER BAND ACROSS THE HEAD THAT IS THE TRADEMARK OF THE STRAIN.