Cecil,
I live just down the road form a good sized ski area and when they cycle the lifts on or off I was getting surges powerful enough to burn out TV's Microwaves, and of course computers. After burning up more surge supressors than I can count I had a "whole house surge supressor" installed. It is a small box mounted outside my breaker box and wired through a 220 breaker (so it protects both legs) anyway, that coupled with surge supressors at each point of use (only my computer and printers now) and I haven't had a problem since. If properly installed (meaning pay an electrician to do it) they will cover you for up to $10,000 in equipment damage above what your homeowners will pay. You have to register that you installed a unit with the manufacturer before making a claim. I have no idea if the insurance part of the system works well or not because it solved the problem and I never had another failure. The unit cost me about $100 plus installation and since the electrician was here anyway I don't know what he charged specifically to install it but he was done, start to finish in 30 minutes.

[Linked Image from img.whynotgif.com]
[Linked Image from i68.photobucket.com]