Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
AquaWaterFood, Cactus Mike, Bgroamer, jnshel, Thirdy8special
18,559 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,054
Posts558,937
Members18,560
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,654
ewest 21,527
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,167
Who's Online Now
11 members (cjschuhmann, Shorthose, Sunil, Rick O, rjackson, catscratch, Justin W, SHORTCREEK, Boondoggle, canyoncreek, Theo Gallus), 910 guests, and 561 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
 Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:

Who's the poor guy who lost his toupee after you snagged it with the ice-fishing pole?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I'm kind of slow. I don't get it.
Theo, Theo, Theo...I know the answer...is it some clown trying to catch a BIGGER Perch???

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by ceadmin:
CB1,

Just curious, with your taxi. skills and the way you do the scenery...Do you have a model railroad?
No never got into trains but my twin brother has a custom model railroad layout in his basement complete with switches and you name it. He's also a railroad historian and writing a book.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Davidson1:
Cecil, never having ice fished, I'm struck by how much the gear looks like a Snoopy rod and reel. Do they really handle larger fish OK?

BTW, beautiful work.
The thing with ice fishing for panfish is you have to fish slower and more delicating hence the lighter tackle. Their bites are lighter and some anglers even go down to 1 lb. test to entice fussy fish. I actually caught this fish on a short light rod and spinning reel but this set up is more traditional. Notice the wire on the end of the pole to detect light bites?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Very nice work Cecil!!

I think Theo's comment about the toupee refers to the dark hole in the ice. Given enough DMD, it could take on the appearance of a toupee that someone could hook onto when casting.

In reference to your bass mount, what do you mean by "overjacked"??

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Russ:
Very nice work Cecil!!

I think Theo's comment about the toupee refers to the dark hole in the ice. Given enough DMD, it could take on the appearance of a toupee.

In reference to your bass mount, what do you mean by "overjacked"??
I guess that makes sense. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what he was talking about. I can assure you it looks like a natural ice fishing hole up close.

Overjacked means the mouth is excessively spread open to be natural.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Thanks Cecil.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
I thought the edges of the hole in the first picture looked a little furry. \:\(

Cecil, I have two questions about fish taxidermy from a position of near perfect ignorance:

1) Which is more usually encountered, the subdued, relaxed look for the fish you used in the perch and trout mounts, or the severe action style that seems to frequent "I love me" walls?

2) You have used what I would term a "gloss" finish. Are there semi-gloss or satin finishes available, and if so what are the style and longevity pros/cons for the different finishes?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Shrader:
Cecil, truly amazing work. Is the YP a skin mount? That bass is fiberglass, right? If so, it's bar none the best I've ever seen. The colors on the back and the detailed scales are amazing. Just curious, was this a special mount, or does all your work get this much attention to detail? I know where I'm sending my next mount \:D

I can't stop staring at it
Sorry for the delay in responding to your post Chris. Both perch and bass are skin mounts. All my customers get this much attention if they request a special scene. Of course it is extra in cost. My customers mounts are very very close to what I enter in competition minus some very fine detail that would not be cost effective to produce for a customer. Unless you knew what you were looking for both customer and competition work are identical.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
I thought the edges of the hole in the first picture looked a little furry. \:\(

Cecil, I have two questions about fish taxidermy from a position of near perfect ignorance:

1) Which is more usually encountered, the subdued, relaxed look for the fish you used in the perch and trout mounts, or the severe action style that seems to frequent "I love me" walls?

2) You have used what I would term a "gloss" finish. Are there semi-gloss or satin finishes available, and if so what are the style and longevity pros/cons for the different finishes?
1.) Most of my customers want the action mounts with flared gills, wide open mouth etc. however I close the gills in bluegill, redear, and other sunfish. In taxidermy competitions we usually close the mouths and do more natural realistic poses. Also opening the mouth in a fish in competition opens up a "can of worms" so to speak as it's almost impossible to get the inside of the mouth perfect due to shrinkage.

2.) Yes, semi gloss and satin finishes are available. I have tried them all and even had problems with some due to the EPA making the manufacturers take certain ingredients out. I am now using a 4:1 Automotive Clear Coat. It's durable, tough, long lasting, and can be very wet looking depending on how many coats you apply, and it's predictable. I would think the manufacturer would have some very upset people if they coated an entire car and had problems.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your post.

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Thanks Cecil.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
big bass rob, DGorman, MarionTLang, vosler
Recent Posts
Green sunfish making me rethink my plan, opinions
by Theo Gallus - 06/03/24 07:18 AM
What is this?
by Theo Gallus - 06/03/24 07:17 AM
Pond liner for my new 1/4 acre pond