Thanks for the feedback and I am glad to see I am not alone. As far as I know there are no natural springs in my pond. I do have a seasonal creek that is still running even though its cold here. I also do have some snow ont he pond and it does seem that the holes stay open even in the low teens.

Ice and water is very interesting at the various temps. The more I learn about htis pond/eco system the more I realize I know nothing about it!! lol

One thing that also caught my eye today was that I have an apple on the center of the ice. My apple trees are about 200 feet away. I have deer, fox, bunny, squirrel, and Coyote markings all around the pond. With my Ice only being 4 inches and those holes in spots, I wonder which one of those ( deer or squirrel ) I will find frozen and floating come spring time. Who knows maybe neither but always funny to see an apple in the center of the pond with nothing around and no tracks leading away from it. Come to think of it it could have been the squirrel and he might have been taken by the Bald Eagle in the back. Ahhh well its fun to see the winter pond life unfold.

---------------------------------
1/10 - 1/4 acre pond plus 16 ft deep/ Plus 40 ft by 20 ft by 6 ft deep koi and fathead minnow pond next to it. Upstate NY