I noted (a couple of posts up) that I was gonna contact the local power company geo-guru. I did the end of Jan; some of the notes to follow.
Most geothermal (GT) in the area is closed loop, a few are open (pump & dump; P&D). The county will provide a $500 rebate for installation of GT unit. Also, the federal govt will provide an income tax rebate, based on a Bush bill signed in Aug '05. The state will also provide a property tax deduction. You fill out the forms once in the beginning and the deduction will be perennial. If I use a super-heater for the (electric) WH, they will provide the first WH tank at n/c and a 2nd (some folks do) at their cost. (They are a Touchstone Coop)...no breaks on electric rates regardless of loop design; first block is .08 kw/hr (smaller, usually consumed by lights, refrig, etc) and second block is .065 kw/hr. They feel this second block is reasonable and provides rate relief for the additional cost to run a 220v well pump to power a P&D sys. He noted that there is plenty of water in our area; an open loop should be no prob. He noted that an avg home sys requires 6 gpm min for GT on P&D (personally, I think this is kinda slight but I think he considers avg home as smaller).
I have already pulled the well records for 4 v recent wells, all within 2000 ft of our project. It should be a non-issue. I continue to lean toward P&D.