OK Country, your pitch is strong and definitely has my attention. My proposed home project is gonna be quite the opposite of your's. I anticipate a much smaller structure; a tight, efficient chalet looking over the pond. Size? Probably a 28' x 44'full basement footprint and 1.5 stories. With your exposure and background on the "pump and dump", can you dare a guess on possible equipment needs?...3 or 4 tons? I gotta guess that one sizeable dedicated pressure tank will git it...? I think my biggest fear of open loop is the water supply end. I keep thinking of a 1 HP 220v pump cycling every 5 minutes and the related energy costs and wear/tear on the pump. I am in a county that offers a co-op division of Touchstone Energy. I am going to reach out to ask about installation rebate programs and usage discounts, but I fear a midwest farmer community co-op will have little to offer.
Also, I wholely agree (or at least question, as noted in a previous post) that the consistent temp of a grade burial closed-loop is likely more efficient than temp swings of pond water; well water would naturally follow the same.
I like your thinking and appreciate your participation...thanks.