I've been away quite a bit this fall but thanks to Bruce rattling my cage I'll add my 2 cents concerning the analysis of ammonia. Bill Cody is correct (as usual) ammonia must be analyzed within 24 hours to obtain the most accurate results, but even 24 hours is a long time in a solution which has the capacity ie. the critters bacteria etc. to break down ammonia into nitrite. This can be slowed down by refrigerating the sample until it can be processed. The absolute proper way to prepare the sample is to vacuum filter it through a millipore filter to remove anything over a fraction of a micron in size, followed by freezing. Usually this is done when a large quantity of samples are collected and all processed at the same time. While sulfuric acid will act as a preservative of ammonia it is usually used for industrial samples where ammonia is the end result of some reaction and is unlikely to break down into a nitrite or nitrate. These samples also are usually quite a bit more concentrated, 50 to 500 ppm range. Considering all of the potential organics that can be in pond water, the sulfuric as a preservative could cause interferences because it is a strong oxidizer, especially when we are talking the 1 to 2 ppm range for the ammonia. For the practical pondmeister who doesn't have a lab to play in, my suggestion is to but an aquarium test kit for ammonia, they are usually drop count titrations, and process the same sample two or three times. What you are looking for is consistency, if your numbers are close your technique is most likely OK and the results beleivable.
Bruce, if you are still awake after reading this I hope my opinion meets your expectation. \:D

[Linked Image from img.whynotgif.com]
[Linked Image from i68.photobucket.com]