Bill thank you for making this point, one of which I was never keenly aware of until earlier today. I took the liberty late this afternoon to read the following:

www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/ aquaculture/docs/5864154-SRAC4603.pdf

This explained in detail pretty much what you have stated above. As for the pull of 4 foot, would the 1/2 million gallon circulation of water caused by this unit in a pond 1/10 acre (like we are to use in this experiment) serve any advantage in pulling the deeper sediment? If one were to have to choose between the bottom unit and the surface unit, which would be best? I know that we have had more luck with the surface unit in the heavier stocked ponds, but as you stated our depths are on average 3-5 feet. In fact we have had kills in these same ponds with diffusers in the past. In ponds deeper than that we have relied on the surface aerator and monitored the bottom ammonia. If concentrations did rise, we applied microblift (purple sulfur bacteria) to digest the sediment. This is your area of expertise, so I will bow gracefully in your recommendations.

Thank you for any further advice,

Deb

Also could the design of the propellar used in the surface aerator aid in the separation of the particules thus adding some advantage to the release of noxious gases?

Do fish actually kiss?