The most difficult obstacle encountered in my pond adventure, is overcoming the mindset of Largemouth Bass fishermen in our part of the country.

Everyone that has a pond believes they can raise ”trophy” LMB, without the knowledge or understanding the intensive management to achieve this goal.

Consequently every pond I have fished in our area is “bass heavy” with stunted bass. Admittedly my experience is limited in fishing private, poorly managed ponds.

The other obstacle encountered in speaking with friends and associates, is to explain that the non-reproductive traits of Hybrid Striped Bass, can overcome or completely eliminate this problem.

HSB are much easier to catch and will outfight a LMB, in addition is excellent table fare.

Everyone wants big LMB without realizing the intense management to achieve this goal.

I recall many posts on this forum advising to clearly define their pond objectives.

If early on, I had the information available to me through the resources of Pond Boss magazine and this forum, I could have avoided many mistakes – mainly dependent on LMB as primary predator, and overstocking channel catfish.

LMB become hook shy with heavy fishing pressure and become difficult to catch, as well as channel catfish.

CC are eating machines, and in my opinion pests - unless heavily fished. They become difficult to catch when becoming 8-10 pound pests and accustomed to a pelletized fish food diet.

We are correcting these mistakes slowly and surely, removing CC’s, slot limits for LMB and increasing numbers of HSB.

Forage base of BG and tilapia is supplemented with high protein fish food.
Bottom diffuser aeration has also been a major factor.

Much more than my 2 cents worth… \:D
George Glazener

N.E. Texas ¼ acre and 2 acre ponds