Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
GEltingNe, TVaughan, RoCo, HouseOfSquawk, Chris Hosp
18,602 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,139
Posts559,896
Members18,602
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,752
ewest 21,554
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,209
Who's Online Now
10 members (oldgeekinnc, Boondoggle, RoCo, SetterGuy, Bill Cody, papereater, Quarter Acre, Tinylake, Tentmaker Farm, Fishingadventure), 909 guests, and 532 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Feeding pellet trained perch high protein pellets will create a dream fishery for you. With the correct predatory pressure and population management you should easily catch one nice sized jumbo perch every 1-3 minutes. When you are catching mostly YP less than 8" long, the pond does not have enough predators eating the 3"-5" YP or you are not manually adequately thinning out enough of the small YP 2"-5" long. A correct number of predators will do this removal of small perch for you. Catching a jumbo perch every 20 minutes means the pond has too many predators eating too many of the young perch.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/10/24 08:22 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
1 member likes this: FishinRod
M
Mainer Offline OP
OP Offline
M
The forage base is finally getting started. I added 20 pounds of FHM today and have 20 dozen papershell crayfish coming next week. My source for eastern silvery minnows can’t get them until December, so I’ll order extra with the assumption that the YP and SMB that are going in this Fall will get many of them.

For now, it has several thousand tadpoles of variety species of toads and frogs, but predominantly green frogs. They look a lot like a bullfrog but don’t get as big. I’ve considered stocking bullfrog tadpoles, but I think I’ll hold off for now.

There are several species of plants coming in, all of which showed up naturally. One of my next projects will be identifying them.

I’m enjoying the journey.

2 members like this: esshup, FishinRod
M
Mainer Offline OP
OP Offline
M
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Since my pond is new, I decided to add some FHM spawning habitat. I got the idea from an old publication from the University of Maine Cooperative Extension called "Baitfish for Fun and Profit in Maine". Our house is being built, so I took some scrap untreated 2x6 and 2x8, laid them out on the patio, laid a piece of plastic string (poly electric fence) over the top and stapled it in place. I put 5 of them in the pond in 4-14" of water with a wooden stake on each end to keep them in place. I suspect they may mimic a lily pad (which I thankfully do not have). I may go down there with a battery operated grinder and wire wheel and rough up the underside so the eggs adhere better.

I haven't seen this particular publication referenced on here before but it has some useful information that is worth sharing. It has chapters on GSH, FHM, white sucker, long nose sucker and rainbow smelt cultivation. Although I have found that links on here often don't work well, here is the web address to where I found it:
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/230047592.pdf

My pond water is still settling out and is therefore more turbid than it will eventually be. Although I have read that FHM are tolerant of turbidity, mine seem particularly attracted to the in flowing water. I suppose it's also possible that I'm seeing more of them there because it's clearer there. I suspect that although they are tolerant of the turbid water, they still probably prefer clearer water.

Besides the runoff from the natural drainage, I discovered a few small springs that were bubbling up. The photo doesn't give perspective unfortunately, but they are about the size of a baseball. Should I try to cap these with compacted clay so they don't become the source of a leak? At full pool, they will be about 6-8' under water. If so, any advice on how to do so? It seems that springs can be a blessing or a curse, and I'm a rookie so I'm not sure how to decide between the two.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Thank you to everyone who has helped me along the way. This is such a great forum with such a wealth of knowledge.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
This is just a guess, but if you see 'bubbling,' it may not be a spring; it may just be some air pockets being compressed as the weight of the water squeezes down onto the pond basin, thus causing a slow release of the air or gases.

If you can get a few wood pallets sunk, that will also help with fathead spawning, and it won't be visable from the surface (not that your current floating wood looks bad).

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
BWPearson, Fish1234, Jonathan Richardson, Ken Henkel, scott mayer
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 07/04/24 04:54 PM
Phosphate measurement
by Bill Cody - 07/04/24 04:49 PM
Best way to spread powdered lime
by papereater - 07/04/24 04:48 PM
Weed ident, video inside.
by Tinylake - 07/04/24 04:30 PM
Pipeline Nightmare
by Boondoggle - 07/04/24 04:11 PM
Finally getting started on pond maintenance
by Bill Cody - 07/04/24 03:45 PM
New Pond Location
by FishinRod - 07/04/24 02:43 PM
Alum worked for 3 days now getting cloudy again!
by N.C.PondJoe - 07/04/24 01:26 PM
Bullhead Removal
by rusticsbysmith - 07/04/24 12:20 PM
Best Bermuda for TX Dam?
by Pat Williamson - 07/04/24 11:37 AM
Algae issue due to septic system?
by esshup - 07/04/24 09:38 AM
Alum choices
by rivershed - 07/04/24 09:37 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Major change since 2009
Major change since 2009