Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Chris Hosp, michvis, Teebone, Chris123321, donr
18,598 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,129
Posts559,819
Members18,599
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,745
ewest 21,554
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,203
Who's Online Now
8 members (Chadsnider, Tinylake, Shorthose, Bill Cody, michvis, Snipe, Boondoggle, catscratch), 833 guests, and 216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Brev Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
I have a 1.5 acre pond renovated and stocked with 2000 cnbg and 100 RE, 2000 Golden shiners in Feb of 22 and then in June of 22 stocked 63 FS LMB known as Titan bass.Im catching 2.8 to 3.11lbs bass but not catching or seeing any less than 12in LMB.My concern is. Am I losing most of them due to predation from egg or fry due to heavy numbers of CNBG? Forgot to mention, I also have GSF that somehow got in my pond as well.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
I am NOT an expert, but I frequently see similar posts on Pond Boss.

I think in a newish, well-stocked pond there is an overabundance of food for the small bass to eat, which makes them much more difficult to catch.

One option would be to use a fish trap and catch some small GSF or BG. I would then fish with the smallest ones in the trap that can't possibly fit in the mouth of your largest GSF in the pond. You are trying to use a live bait that is too small to tempt your large bass, and too large for your GSF to be pecking at your bait.

Maybe clip most of the tail when you bait your hook, so the fish will be actively swimming on the line, but very erratically to provoke a strike.

Another option would be to fish during the spawn next spring. LMB in TN should start spawning at about 10" in length. They should be much easier to catch when they are in the shallow water at that time. I would also fish with a smallish lure or bait to target 10-12" bass and not catch your big ones while they are spawning.

Good luck on increasing your bass numbers! I think they are in there, but just playing "hard to get".

Originally Posted by Brev
I also have GSF that somehow got in my pond as well.

I read that same sentence VERY frequently on Pond Boss!

B
Brev Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Thanks Fishinrod , I have down sized but no luck but I will try the live bait method.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Most likely predation. Lusk once said that of all the eggs laid, hatched, etc. only a very small percentage live long enough to spawn. They get eaten. That’s ok. They have booming spawns and if they all survived, you would have an oxygen crash.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I wouldn't be concerned. Most pond owners have a problem with too many LMB, so not having a big recruitment is helping your pond. Have you been fishing for 5"-8" LMB? That's about the size that they would be if they spawned last year.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Brev Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
I have used micro lures to target those sizes but no luck,I did see on last year's spawn an abundant amount of bluegill surrounding a bass on bed and was abandoned the following day .I'm wanting to manage the population by taking some out on its 3rd year just afraid to take out too many.I do appreciate everybody's response

B
Online Content
B
I wonder if improving the spawning habitat might help with this. Thinking back about some of the posts I've seen on habitat (more for smallies) and if they could be used for LMB. Spawning bed next to a large rock or beside a log with the right substrate might make it a little easier to defend vs a bed in the wide open. Bonus if there's some adjacent weeds or bush to make sure the babies get a chance to grow a bit.

This is one of the zones on the pond that we will modify and add to a little in the coming years. It will have another log or two added in and the brush will be maintained. Likely a mix of gravel and sand added beside and below the larger log that is anchored to the shore but above the pond bottom.

I hear the dominate bass will take the best spots for spawning. Do you have spawning zones for the LMB that are protected a bit from the harassing BG's?

Attached Images
LMB Spawn Zone 1.jpg

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Brev Online Content OP
OP Online Content
B
Yes ,before renovating I let the pond stay in the dry for 4yrs and allowed trees to grow in certain areas inline then cut the tops off right before we closed the levee and I also have water primrose that I'm trying to control now,I think they have enough habitat to spawn and ambush ,heck it might be too much. I may get it shocked next yr before spawn and chk my numbers.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bassy, blydvm, Collins Areba, marvin, RedR8dr, william e. titus
Recent Posts
natural bacteria better than copper sulfate?
by Bill Cody - 07/02/24 04:34 PM
Recent Fish Kill, Not Sure Cause (7 acre)
by Chris Hosp - 07/02/24 03:05 PM
Running electric or air uphill
by Bigtrh24 - 07/02/24 02:44 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Sunil - 07/02/24 02:14 PM
Pond Liners - detrimental to insect life ?
by Pond Star - 07/02/24 11:03 AM
Intro, hi my name is Chris
by Sunil - 07/02/24 08:41 AM
Source for Red Cherry Shrimp, Scuds and Hornwort
by DeerTexas - 07/02/24 06:40 AM
Best Bermuda for TX Dam?
by DeerTexas - 07/02/24 12:39 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 07/01/24 09:36 PM
Electrofishing request
by scampbell - 07/01/24 04:58 PM
New 1/4 acre pond