Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
chin_monster, Km17, Jhust, Cionweest, Kansan
18,589 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,113
Posts559,651
Members18,590
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,728
ewest 21,550
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,198
Who's Online Now
8 members (Boondoggle, catscratch, Syndel, Fishingadventure, LANGSTER, nvcdl, jludwig, esshup), 1,244 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#567987 06/18/24 05:32 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Dear fellow pond enthusiasts,

I’m currently planning the filtration system for my pond and am seeking your valued advice.

I’d like to know if a bottom drainage is considered essential for a healthy pond ecosystem, or if it’s possible to maintain good water quality without one. The pond is about 10 meters (32 feet 9.7 inches) long and 8 meters (26 feet 3 inches) wide, with an average depth of about 80 centimeters (2 feet 7.5 inches), and a deep hole of 1 meter 50 (4 feet 11 inches).

I’m weighing up two options for my pump setup: A regular pump that is submerged in the water (slower flow) or a pump on land with a hose to the pond. Which of these methods do you find more effective for clear and healthy water?

I’m also wondering whether a sieve filter is necessary for the system, or if pumping the water directly to a bog filter would be adequate. I have a limited budget and no experience, so I’m looking for the cheapest and easiest system to install that would still be adequate to run a healthy pond.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I don’t PERSONALLY know anyone who has a bottom drain system. We generally use a place for excess water near the dam.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
gautprod:

I suggest you look up the postings (roughly 10 years back) of member Aaron Matos. (I believe his member name is "AaronM".) Aaron had an elaborate water (cleansing) system which he ran the water from a 1/10 acre pond through to support a very high amount of fish biomass - successfully. Aaron's methods might be of interest to you in maintaining good water quality.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I had a smaller pond years ago that was lined, and having a bottom drain helped me minimize labor when it came time to clean the pond. A bottom drain minimizes solid accumulation and automatically carries it to the filtration system instead of leaving it build up in the pond.

I agree, look at ArronM's filtration system. He could grow some HUGE fish in minimal gallons of water with great water quality.

Using a bottom drain, the external pump would be preferred. No sieve filter is needed providing the pump can handle any of the solids that might accumulate.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
OP Offline
G
Okay, where can I find this ArronM's filtration system?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Sorry, it's AaronM. he made 300+ posts, it's gotta be somewhere in there.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
L
Bear in mind that filter size and water exchange rates are highly variable for each situation. If your pond receives a lot of tree debris, or you have many fish and feed them regularly, you also need a massive filter to deal with the organics. Preferably an easy to service filter to occasionally remove what the filter has accumulated. Otherwise the filter reaches a saturation point and things begin to fall apart. I don’t know how to help with sizing a filter for outdoor use. Aquariums, yes.

I’ve been following a natural swim pond group, and am amazed at those systems. People generally don’t put in fish to avoid the load on the large natural filters that are not easily serviced to keep them usable longer. However, at some point, nature will win, and the filters will need to be cleaned out at great expense as they are just very large reservoirs of sand and gravel with some bog plants to take up dissolved nutrients.

But I am soooo tempted to build one of those to expand my garden/lily pond near the house.

1 member likes this: FishinRod
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted by liquidsquid
Bear in mind that filter size and water exchange rates are highly variable for each situation. If your pond receives a lot of tree debris, or you have many fish and feed them regularly, you also need a massive filter to deal with the organics. Preferably an easy to service filter to occasionally remove what the filter has accumulated. Otherwise the filter reaches a saturation point and things begin to fall apart. I don’t know how to help with sizing a filter for outdoor use. Aquariums, yes.

I’ve been following a natural swim pond group, and am amazed at those systems. People generally don’t put in fish to avoid the load on the large natural filters that are not easily serviced to keep them usable longer. However, at some point, nature will win, and the filters will need to be cleaned out at great expense as they are just very large reservoirs of sand and gravel with some bog plants to take up dissolved nutrients.

But I am soooo tempted to build one of those to expand my garden/lily pond near the house.

When I looked at those, I saw the ratio was 1:1 for filter area ratio to pond area. Is that still true? i.e. 1/4 acre swimming pool, 1/4 acre bog.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Originally Posted by liquidsquid
I’ve been following a natural swim pond group, and am amazed at those systems.

My wife has been contemplating a natural swim pond, so I have followed those designs a bit.

Can you post a link to the group that you like?

Thanks, FishinRod.

L
L
It is a moderated Facebook group. Natural Swimming Pools. Shared from all over the world. Pretty impressive landscaping on many of them.

1 member likes this: FishinRod

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Connor Kelley, Mama Rachael
Recent Posts
Kill a pond
by nvcdl - 06/26/24 12:27 PM
Something is eating mussels
by nvcdl - 06/26/24 12:20 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by catscratch - 06/26/24 12:09 PM
Humic Acid to improve water quality?