Hello,
I bought 106 acres, hilly country, has wet-weather creek, 378 acres drainage into..alot of water sometimes.
Where do I start? 1. Need alittle clearing. 2. Survey area for possible size. 3. Need to make sure clay(neighbor above me has a 1/2 acre pond(not sure if he blocks most of the torrent of water from going into his pond or not. Gravel road gets washed out occasionally but county only has one 18-24in plastic culvert in road). 4. Thinking of trying to buy 208ft x 2000ft of land along east boundary(get definitely on east side of creek but mostly better on upper/north end of my property(see pic).
5. The cheap way would be to dig out a bend in creek(has alot of loops/bends) & make a pool for irrigation &see if clay is there. I can do this with my add-on backhoe that is on back of tractor(digs about 7ft deep...fun to play with.) If it holds water, then proceed with getting surveyors/pond engineer into give me idea of size, dam spillway/pipes, & cost.
6. I'm nearly retired so if the rain ever stops, maybe by Aug/Sept, can work on removing a bend.
Let me know what everyone thinks, no stone unturned.
NRCS outlined my drainage acres, waterflow. They don't engineer on drainage larger than 80acres tho.
Thx(I'll attach some pics.)
Nect to last pic is a small bend that might be a good start.
Last pic: Drew up a go around for a $Kdam/spillway/overflow in last pic.
There's a spring on upper side, where gulley goes downhill from left to right. Haven't located source, not a big concern, but do have a bluebarrel dam w/2in pvc outlet across where it flows. Anywhere from 20oz to 1gal/sec(4k to 13kgals/day. Need to test quality someday.
Theres also a clay pond just north of 270'. I'd like to dig it deeper & pump water into it - would be a nice summer swimming hole & deposit for pecan trees that I want to plant along SW border down the hill.
Got a rain yesterday while visiting the place, 100gals/sec, nearly 9million gals/day...that would fill a 5acre pond fast. Check my Seven Heavens fb page for vid.
Anyone know of an fluid/hydrology engineer?
I'm thinking mine the creek for clay, make it a pumpable pool, & use clay for 3acre pond up out of creek. Not sure I can afford to tame the creek.

Attached Images
Screenshot_20240524_122015_Yahoo Mail.jpg Screenshot_20240524_122029_Yahoo Mail.jpg Screenshot_20240524_122005_Yahoo Mail.jpg Screenshot_20230117-120546_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240601_000959_Gallery.jpg 20240601_122443.jpg Screenshot_20240605_103939_Earth.jpg
Last edited by Thirdy8special; 06/05/24 07:55 PM.

Fb- Seven Heavens