Originally Posted by Boondoggle
Probably anybody's guess on if they will feed train or not SG. I do know in my case that not all of the fish in the pond are coming to the feeder. We've been experimenting a little while on site with walking the peninsula after the feeder goes off (far side of the pond from the feeder) and sprinkling a little food on the water. Within a few seconds the fish that are in that area begin to eat pellets too.

That area of the pond is also deeper quicker than the flat/spawning area we are feeding on. It was hoped to be our feeding area (off the peninsula) but I forgot about the wind. South wind prevents the feed from getting to the water. Should we ever get a backhoe back on site.....I'm betting that part of that work will be to deepen the area around the feeder zone. Likely have the dock installed there as well.

Fish Food via pellets is learned behavior as I understand it. You need some good teachers in your pond to help educate the masses. If your depth is right, and there is some cover closeby or mixed into the feeding zone and feeding time of day works I would bet a small stocking of Feed Trained fish might help.

One other tip I got just before we started to stock the pond (I think it was from BC) was to use the same food that the hatchery was using when the fish went in the water (10lbs or so before transitioning them to our food of choice). Not sure who you got your YP from but the hatchery in Hurdland, MO said they do not offer Feed Trained YP because they are too hard to train. Conversely, there's another hatchery in Goodland, KS - that I think sells YP or Feed Trained YP (Optimal JR if I remember correctly).

Hope that helps!

I did get some HSB from the hatchery in Hurdland (Harrison) but I got the YP from the guys in Perry MO (NEMO). He told me when I got them that they were not feed trained. I’ve just been hoping they’d come around. We are going to continue to keep some. So, I’ll see if I ever start to see feed in them. In the meantime, I’ve got a lot of golden shiners, crawfish, and glass shrimp. I guess I’ll just have very healthy RES, as I think that’s what must be hitting the feed.
Thanks

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023