NEDOC, the short answer is no, there really isn't a good, easy way to get rid of reed canary grass. It is incredibly invasive as you know. Ask Bill Whitney at 402-694-5535. He is probably the formost expert in the Midwest on native prairie management and restoration.

The best way I've found to control it is to get prairie cordgrass (Spartina pectinata) in there first. Cordgrass is established by plugs.

NebraskaLand magazine had about a 20 page article about managing CRP land for waterfowl and upland game birds. They found that they could have a whole quarter (160 acres) of brome that produced NOTHING! Bruce Condello is doing an excellent job of taking a pure brome pasture and slowly managing it back to native species.

I grew up on a farm by Bellwood. The rainwater basin reaches its NE corner at the airport just south of David City. I've always love that type of landscape.

It pleases me greatly to see that so many Nebraskans (as well as people in other areas) care about our total native environment. I have quite a bit of experience in this area and could give you some specific ideas.

Norm Kopecky