Originally Posted by Boondoggle
I did a little looking on the google and from what I could see 25lbs + per acre was the minimum "recommended cull rate on bass per acre annually". Even at half that rate on 27 acres(13.5 acres since you feel like the deep water isn't as attractive to the LMB) that equals a lot of fish to cull. If a 100% RW 14" bass = 1.4 - 1.7 lbs depending on which chart you use. If your RW's are lower than 100% and you are trying to improve them that annual cull rate goes up.

Not trying to dispute anything above. I was trying to wrap my head around how many lbs of LMB would need to be removed.

It's not an easy thing to do, and the further away from 100% RW the BOW is, the more work it is (more LMB need to be removed). In BOW's that have a really low RW, 40#/surface acre isn't out of the question. That does two different things. 1) gives the forage base a great jump start and 2) removes a lot of bass that will never reach their growth potential.

For instance, in a 1 acre pond that had RW's of 75%, you could take out ALL the bass except 1 pair and next year after they spawned they will have repopulated the pond. (you only need 50-100 of the fry to survive)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).